tower vs bookshelf

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianChim, Jun 23, 2002.

1. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

Any comments on tower vs bookshelf fronts for home theater only setup. (I have plenty of base with dual SVS-ultras). Room size is approx 14X25.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Just make sure before you upgrade to that towers that will not regret it later. Since having a baby it has come to my attention that he could knock over my Mirage FRX-7's onto himself very easily. I'm now shopping for solutions to this problem...
    -Andre F

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

You know Brian I think if I had it to do over and most likely I will? I would have stayed with books. I am 98% HT and the other 2% music for my wife. Towers sound great, but imo or for my preference should I say--- The towers I have add to much bass. I will find a set of tight books that go down to the 60 range in the future I think and let my sub do more. I have cut my SW setting back to -6 7 8 9 but this affects my LFE special effect's. I found I could run my sub hotter with books that were not so bassy. You have duel SVSs-- You might be on the same side of the tracks as I am?

5. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

I'd go with the towers if you have a place to put them.

High quality bookshelf speakers often cost as much as the tower version, anyway (by the time you pay for good stands). You can always run the mains as "small" if you don't like the bass interaction between the towers and subs.

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Bookshelfs can have bass spikes when backed against a wall. I noticed huge spikes when I place my S38s against the backwall as opposed to 1.5-2 feet away from the wall.

Because of this spike I refuse to put them on a bookshelf, but instead make a stand for them and place them where a floorstand would be. This leads me to believe that bookshelfs don't really have an advantage to floorstands for placement.

Most bookshelfs can integrate well with your SVS, you probably won't have any gaps in the freq. range.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

8. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

What about quality? For example, do you get more for your money in a "higher end" bookshelf (ie B&W nautilaus 805, or dynaudio, or even Energy Veritas 2.2) vs a slightly lower end tower (ie B&W CDN9nt, Veritas 2.3). I was thinking that the nautilaus bookshelves may be better, especially when coupled to dual-SVS ultras for home theater. Am I mistaken? If going with this type of setup, do I really need a tower?

9. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

you definitely will get more quality with a higher end bookshelf speaker than the lower level floorstander. a good sub will take care of the low freq. however, this is dependent on the size of the room and how loud you want to listen. generally, towers can handle more power therefore can play louder.

10. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

Thanks...any other opinions?

11. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

Brian,
    Just use your own judgement, don't rely on generalizations. A perfect example is the one you brought up, the nautilaus 805 vs. the B&W CDN9nt. The 9NT uses a "better" mid range (the one used in the 804) than the 805. Since a bookshelf can't handle the "better" midrange (it doesn't go as low as the one used in the 7NT and the 805), generalizing doesn't tell the whole story.

Pick what sounds best and what fits best in your set up. There are excellent tower systems and excellent bookshelf systems.

Joe