Tower speakers are they ok to use as surround?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by robert dawson, Oct 30, 2003.

1. robert dawson

robert dawson Auditioning

This is my first set up and first post since I am a newbie to the Home Theater. I have a H/K DPR 1001 with H/K WT6 for front Towers and H/K C for the center . Would like to use towers also for rear surrounds Infinity brand. Will it be ok to use towers since I dont want to invest in stands?

2. Ronnie Schildha

Will it be okay? Yeah it will be okay but it is kind of overkill in my opinon. I know people that are using some pretty big tower speakers for rear surround but if you talk tp them about their systems you find that is more of a competition with each other. Information sent to rear surrounds in alot of movies can be anywhere from pretty slim to non-existent (especially older movies). If the information ain't there, the speaker ain't gonna do nothing (I am talking DD or DTS before everybody jumps in on me). I would prefer to have a smaller set manufactured by same company with timbre matched drivers if possible. I really think you would be much happier with your system.

3. robert dawson

Thanks for your responce . I was thinking about a 100 watt infinity tower with a 2 way for the surrounds. But if you think its a over kill I guess I'll go with some small sub like HKB 4 or Infinity Entra One . Thanks Ronnie

4. Ronnie Schildha

Those sound like they would be better suited for front surrounds. I am using JBL ND310's for front, JBL NCenter, JBL N24's for rear, and a JBL PB10 sub. I, like alot of others, think it is important to have speakers from one manufacturer and even same line (example- JBL Northridge, JBL Studio, Polk RTI ect.) Since adding the 310's I have really noticed a great improvement and could probably do without the sub but it is there so I use it. Have you considerd going with the Infinitys for front and adding Infinity rears and center as the budget allows if budget is a concern (with me it was but to some it doesn't seem to matter). I think that would be a pretty good system and you may not need the sub as the towers are powered.

5. RogerA

RogerA Extra

Ronnie,

Sorry to bust in on this thread but I noticed you have simular speakers to my setup. I have 2 PB12's and a Acoustic Research AR2C center speaker, the rest is the same. What receiver are you using and are you happy with it?

6. Ronnie Schildha

I am using an Onkyo TX-DS575X. Doesn't have alot of fancy bells and whistles but it is built like tank and I love it. I don't honestly think I would consider another brand when it comes time to upgrade. Maybe a better model, but after 3 years, I am hooked on Onkyo.

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

There is certainly nothing wrong with using towers for your surrounds. But as already has been mentioned, there are many reasons to use a smaller speaker for that location than postive ones I'd say. Speaking to general movie play...

Timbre matched surrounds are best of course regardless of speaker size, but when talking surrounds, much less important than the front sound stage.

Going with a smaller book shelf type speak offers more location postions "most times".
    Stands can be used, but also wall/swival mounts getting the speaker up & out of the way of prying little hands, also offering possibley a better ability of finding the best height and aiming of the speaks for our room..

BB and CC display speaks especialy, show what happy fingers do to tweets, mids, etc. Don't you just cringe when you see that!

If you listen to allot of music, SCAD, DVDA, DTS music mixes, 5-Channel Stereo, etc, good towers can allow for more setup options (lower crossover selection, large, small, separate sub on off) depending on the tower.

For just movie use, hard to see spending money for a tower when a good timbre matched small, med, large bookie, etc, would do the job more than fine,,, and save cash in most instances.

It's a personal preferance/choice thing in the end, I belive.

If you have a huge room, towers certainly would look more balanced than a small bookie in that type room. For the averaged sized room, save the cash and go with matched smaller speaks and spend the saved money on something else for moma, you, or the system....[​IMG]

Regards
    Geoff

8. robert dawson

Thanks for the information guys . The only reason I was thinking about towers is that their was a great deal on these infinity 2 way towers for 109 each. I just bought the HKTW6 this weekend and I am enjoying them. Also came accross a good deal on JBL 310 for 149 each after I bought the HKTW6. But I can exchange them if you think the JBL is better than the HKWT6 towers. The JBL have a built in bass inwhich I think might be better. I have a sub not the best it is a Panasonic 5 inch sub. Also was looking at the HK12 for sub priced at 349 but I might not need it if I go with the JBL. Still cant stop thinking about the towers from infinity for 109 each . Thats the only reason I was considering the towers. My family room is 20 by 30 with a 10 foot opening to the breakfast area. I have hard wood floors and was thinking still about using the towers for surrounds and adding 2 more subs for a 7.1 for my home theater. What do you think 109 for towers or buy matching sat with stands inwhich is still more than 109. I quess I could try the towers and if I dont like it I could use them for a rec room...I am using a new HK drp 1001 reciever that has some bells and whistles that will allow me to use a 7.1 set up. Thanks let me know what you think? Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner but I had to eat...Thanks bob