Tower speakers and rock

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Daniel_S, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Daniel_S

Daniel_S Agent

Are there any tower speakers out there that are especially good when listening to rock and roll? Do their characteristics compliment rock music? I have looked at a variety of speakers and to say the least, I am confused. There are so many brands to look at and so much research to be done. So I would appreciate if you guys could narrow my search a bit[​IMG]

Also I need a good receiver to compliment the speakers.

Budget for the main speakers (two front towers), receiver and wires is about $1500.

Very open ended thread, have fun with it
    [​IMG]

2. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

Well, a question like that is bound to stir up some emotions around here.[​IMG] Actually, if you do a search, you should be able to find some past threads on this subject. In the end, the best suggestion is going to be for you to listen to as many brands as possible, and buy what sounds good to you. With that said, I'll go ahead and kick off the debate. Given your budget, and taking into consideration the characteristics of rock music, you are looking for speakers that are highly efficient, meaning that they don't take a ton of power to reach high db levels, perform well in the mid-bass region, and won't be constrained at high volume levels. For these requirements, I personally feel that Klipsch, JBL, Polk and maybe even MTX would be worth auditioning. Let the fun begin!

BTW, are these to be used only for long, loud rock and roll sessions? Or will there be some movie watching also?

3. luke_ha

luke_ha Stunt Coordinator

yes are you planning just a stereo system or a surround system.
    check out B&W also

also I like the HK recievers for music

4. Daniel_S

Daniel_S Agent

Hey, Heath, thanks for that reply. To answer your question these speakers will be used for rock sessions probably 95% of the time. I currently only have the Lord of the Rings in my DVD collection, so I won't be watching too many DVDs[​IMG]

Luke, I am only looking for a stereo set-up at the moment. I have heard good things about H/K receivers, so I'll definatly consider them [​IMG]

5. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Marantz receivers and Monitor Audio floorstanders (Bronze or Silver series) are a great combo for rock music (all kinds of music in fact) in that general price range... and will make a solid starting point for a future HT setup.

6. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

I'll stir things up more by suggesting a very rough ballpark figure of spending twice the amount on your speakers that you do on the electronics. The speakers are obviously more mechanical and what actually make the sounds, so that's where to load up the $$$.

I've been impressed w/ Axiom speakers for the price, and their factory outlet price on 60s (or even 80s) could fit your budget. There are gazillions of other very good options and your ears gotta be your guide there.

Electronics? Heck, if you get the Axiom 60s at outlet price then you could splurge on an HK 7200 and still come darned close to $1500. Yeah, I know that breaks the "rule" but some rules were made to be broken so...

Just one suggestion - you can find dozens of others just as good. Concentrate on the speakers first and get what really sounds good to you - then fill in the electronics.

Wire needn't be more than $20-30 max. for two speakers...

7. Daniel_S

Daniel_S Agent

Axioms for rock? I did look at the M60s but from what I read, they were not especially suited for rock.

I did an informal audition of the Polk R50s at Circuit City tonight. I can't say I was exactly impressed by them. They were flat and dry sounding, although very clear. They lacked any real action in the lower and higher frequencies. But, I don't think they were done justice in the CC showroom. The room was empty, with hard carpeting and a glass wall. Also, I wouldn't be considering them anyways, I'm shooting more for speakers more like the RTi10. I'll have to find a place to audition the RTi10s.[​IMG]

8. Daniel_S

Daniel_S Agent

I think that Polks are pretty much out. Right now I'm looking at JBL and while I'm at it, Athena. I'll see if I can't visit BB this weekend and hear both.[​IMG]

9. RayMan

RayMan Extra

I still have a thing for my first/last stereo system. An onkyo integra system from 1988, With a pair of 15" Cerwin Vega's... I still think about bringing them back in as my mains, and using the rs-5's for rears

10. Daniel_S

Daniel_S Agent

I guess I could take a trip down to Guitar Center or Sears (both dealers) and take a look at some Cerwin Vegas, although I doubt that they would be right for me. Too powerful:b

EDIT: How do you like the Polk's BTW?

11. RayMan

RayMan Extra

The polks are nice, for rears (they are in-walls), and actually are surprising when I hooked them up as mains just to play. The polk center sounds good for the $60 I wound up paying for it at the time, but its old now and not exactly high end. After I get a sub, I will probably replace the polk center next. I went to check out an athena sub at BB, and the athena book shelfs and towers got me thinking to much so I left[​IMG] I think all the athena's were on "clearence" at BB too.

12. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

"Axioms for rock?" We've done some "dusting" (as in, cranking the big knob far 'nuff around to the right to clean our table tops without a cloth ;-) with stuff like Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" on the Brothers in Arms CD. Plenty of punch and extension for my old ears. Yup, Axioms. Room size & acoustics, listening position, etc. will also matter so YMMV and your tastes may vary too - you just have to listen to see if something works for you.