Tower rocks!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Holy crap! Ok, I knew Tower was stocking some SACDs, but... wow.

I just got back from getting some lunch, stopped into the Tower Records store (haven't been in there for a while), head for the SACD section. Now, I was expecting to see some Sony things, a couple of Telarcs, and a few random bits here and there.

They had a lot of stuff, folks. Both Stravinsky recordings from Telarc. The new Mahler disc I started the thread for (this one was a real surprise). Some violin thing from Sony I didn't even know existed. Junior Wells. A whole bunch from Channel Classics. They even had some XRCD2 classical discs lumped in there.

And KeithH, you were right- Mysterious Traveller by Weather Report is indeed out, and it's multi-channel. I have it now. Ha-hah.

Ok, the prices are more than Best Buy, but Best Buy doesn't even have most of this stuff! For the most part, IIRC, the prices were the same as what I see at elusivedisc and acousticsounds, but without the shipping & handling and having to wait to get them.

The discs were completely disorganised, but it's still such a small section that it doesn't matter.

I didn't even bother to look around the CD section, and I probably won't for a while.

Oddly enough, they didn't have Miles Davis' In A Silent Way or Joe Satriani's Strange Beautiful Music, but I ordered them, so that's fine. It's just weird that I haven't seen them in any store, yet I found these obscure SACDs from Channel and Delos.

Unfortunately, their DVD-A stock seems to have declined. They have a small space where they just threw in some DVD-As, DTS CDs, and other odds-and-ends. Warner Brothers, or whoever's in charge here, needs to get their asses in gear- now.

My purchases:

San Francisco Symphony- Mahler, Sympnony #1 hybrid-multichannel SACD

Weather Report- Mysterious Traveller Sony non-hybrid multichannel SACD

Yes- Magnification DVD-A

Patricia Barber- Nightclub Mobile Fidelity hybrid stereo SACD

I never heard Barber before but picked it up based on the recommendations from this forum, so if I don't like it, I want you all to send me the money I paid for it, or at least some flowers or a greeting card or something.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Mike,
    I picked up Diana Krall Live in Paris. As others said in the other thread, this is awesome...complete audiophile sound quality and great performance.
    Amazing what a good engineer can do. [​IMG]
    As for Super Audio, I have gone to mail order since the Atlanta Tower has a crap SACD collection. They has literally not restocked for 6 weeks!
    Lee

3. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

Mike bought Magnification! There are tears in my eyes!

Too bad I have to drive an hour to get to the Denver Tower. But that where I found the Mahler 6th, which might be my favorite SACD so far.

NP: Blue Man Group - Audio (DVD-A)

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

6. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

With Magnification, Yes did something I didn't think was possible (even in the Trevor Rabin era)... they made a boring album. I've turned off other Yes albums for being bad (hello, Open Your Eyes), but never out of sheer boredom before.
    And it was a shame, because The Ladder was quite good.

7. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Magnification has grown on me. I do really like it. I had the cd version for quite awhile, its been in my car's cd changer since it came out.
    The DVDA sounds great but your right about The Ladder, it is better.
    I wish The Ladder would come out in DVDA.

On Magnification, I like these songs:

title track
    Give Love Each Day
    We Agree
    Dreamtime
    In The Presence Of

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I was in a Tower Records in New Jersey over the weekend and was quite impressed with the selection. Prices are nothing special, but they had many titles that you never see at Best Buy. I didn't buy anything this time, as I have been buying a boatload of music lately. Maybe next time. [​IMG]
    Let us know how you like Mysterious Traveller on SACD. Do you have the remastered CD for comparison?
    NP: Miles Davis Cookin' at the Plugged Nickel CD ("If I Were a Bell")

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

It might have changed, but when it was a largely local chain, it allowed the store to control a good % of what it ordered.
    I remember the day when I walked into the local stockton (they started up the road in Sac) store and they finally had CDs! I had a player for 6 months before they sold Cds

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee said:

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

12. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

13. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I agree with Jeff, Magnification is a pretty good album. I still keep coming back to it and it still works for me. It may not be the golden age of Yes, but it is the best album they've done in a long time.

Jason

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I would be curious to hear your thoughts on the Mysterious Traveller SACD versus the remastered CD. This album should sound great on SACD.
    You said:

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

[​IMG]
    Keith, I think that soon (if not yet) you will have an even bigger Miles Davis CD collection than me.
    Mysterious Traveler: I did some comparative listening. My general impressions are that the SACD provides a slightly more open sound in the rhythm section. It also handles some of those high squealy sax notes better.
    However, the difference isn't dramatic. I attribute this to two things:
    1. Electronic instruments from the 70s- not the highest in fidelity and come with lots of distortion. There simply isn't as much musical informaton to suck out of the source as there is in an acoustic setting.
    2. They do such a good job on the remasters that the gap between CD and SACD is not as big as with some other titles.
    It would interesting to see them take on some more obscure titles. It seems like the same titles get treated over and over again. Just look how many version of Miles Davis' Cookin' and Bill Evans' Village Vanguard there are: remastered CDs, XRCDs, SACDs, multiple audiphile LPs, etc. However, I think any impetus for that will come from the smaller labels, not the megacorps like Sony who rely on the brand name marketability of these ultra-popular titles.
    One great exception is that I think Bill Evans' Moonbeams hasn't been given the K-20 super-fancy edition treatment, or at least I haven't seen it in the stores, yet it is on SACD.

16. Steven Hen

Steven Hen Stunt Coordinator

So Mike (and Keith), just how big is your Miles CD collection?

I'm a newbie to Miles with only 7 cds, 5 sacds and 2 box sets. I've got (5) Miles xrcd on order with music direct (workin, walkin, relaxin, steamin, bags grove). Never heard an xrcd before, how are these versions?

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike said:

18. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Steven, since I happened to have read you post while I'm at home at a spot where I don't have to move to see my jazz CDs and I'm such a sweetheart of a guy, here's my Miles CD rundown:
    First Miles (from Jazz Heritage Club)
    Blue Note:
    Birth of the Cool (remastered with bonus live and radio tracks)
    Blue Note volume 1
    Blue Note volume 2
    Prestige:
    Miles Davis with Horns
    Dig
    All Stars Walkin' (K-20 remastered)
    Bags Groove (K-20 remastered)
    Modern Jazz Giants (K-20 remastered)
    Musings of Miles (DCC Gold)
    Quintet / Sextet with Milt Jackson (DCC Gold)
    New Miles Davis Quintet (DCC Gold)
    Relaxin' (K-20 remastered)
    Workin'
    Steamin'
    Columbia: (all remastered where applicable)
    Round About Midnight
    Milestones
    Kind of Blue
    Miles Ahead
    Porgy And Bess
    Sketches of Spain
    Quiet Nights
    '58 Sessions / Stella By Starlight
    Newport '58
    Someday My Prince Will Come
    In Person- Friday Night at the Blackhawk
    In Person- Saturday at the Blackhawk
    Carnegie Hall Concert (complete)
    My Funny Valentine Plus Four More- complete 1964 concert
    Seven Steps to Heaven
    Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel (8 disc box set and the only box set I own)
    E.S.P.
    Miles Smiles
    Sorceror
    Nefertiti
    Miles in the Sky
    Filled de Killemenjaro
    Water Babies
    In A Silent Way
    Bitches Brew
    Fillmore East
    Fillmore West
    Black Beauty: Fillmore West (different album than above)
    A Tribute to Jack Johnson
    Big Fun
    Get Up With It
    On the Corner
    Live at Philharmonic Hall
    Dark Magus
    Pangaea
    Agharta
    The Man With the Horn
    We Want Miles
    Decoy
    You're Under Arrest
    Aura
    Warner Brothers:
    Tutu
    Amandla
    Doo-Bop
    SACD:
    Cookin' (grouped with the regulare CDs because it's a hybrid and the only version of album I own)
    Round About Midnight
    Kind of Blue
    Jazz at the Plaza
    Sketches of Spain
    Quiet Nights
    Miles Smiles
    Live Evil
    Black Beauty
    Big Fun
    So, a total of 59 titles on CD, three of which are gold, one of which is an 8-disc box set, and quite a few of which are 2-disc sets (most of the 70s albums), and 10 SACDs with In A Silent Way coming in the mail... eventually.
    Keith, as you're expressing interest in Get Up With It and Big Fun, just keep in mind that the music on those albums is the stuff that got left off of other albums, sometimes with good reason. But since you're enjoying everything else so far and have expressed interest in the box sets anyway, you'll probably find stuff to enjoy in these compilations. Also, except for the non-hybrid SACDs, none of the music in my entire collection is repeated.
    If it makes you feel better, I have 0 Miles XRCDs, so you will beat me at that. I remember seeing a bunch at a store once and got scared by the price and didn't even know exactly what they were. By the time I decided to get them and came back, only Cookin' was left and I didn't get that because I had the SACD. I still want to get the XRCDs, though.
    NP: Weather Report, Mysterious Traveler, SACD

19. Steven Hen

Nice collection Keith!

How is the Jazz at the Plaza SACD?

I am also considering picking up Big Fun, Black Beauty and Live-Evil SACD, can anyone recommend these?

20. Steven Hen

Mike,

cool, Thanks

So what is your favorite one?