Tower Records in NYC is Great for SACD!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lin Park, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

Stopped in there today for the first time in a long time and picked up the following:

Peter Frampton Comes Alive!
    Titanic: Music from the Motion Picture (which I thought wasn't available any longer)
    Aerosmith: Toys in the Attic ($12.99)
    Oscar, Ray, and Milt: The Very Tall Band
    Jerry Douglas: Lookout for Hope (of Alison Krauss + Union Station fame)

They have a great selection of just about every single SACD and DVD-A title out there and the prices are fairly reasonable.

Oh, how's that for a wide range of musical taste? Little bit of Classic Rock, classical, jazz, and folk all in one purchase. If only I'd picked up Brittany's new album, Marilyn Manson disc, and something from P.Diddy, I'd have covered all the bases.

2. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

Before anyone slams me for being pro-SACD, the title of this thread really should read "Tower Records in NYC is Great for Hi-Rez!", but I am too lazy to get the admins to change it and think they have better things to do anyway.

Sorry to offend all of you DVD-A enthusiasts (me included).

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Well, maybe that depends on which Tower Records. I've been going to the one near Lincoln Center a lot lately and they are great for SACD, but not particularly great for DVD-A. Sure, they have some stuff, but nothing spectacular.

The one thing I dislike about their SACD stuff is that most of the discs are in a seperate SACD section, but sometimes I come across other SACDs mixed in with the regular CDs. And it's not just another copy of the disc (which actually would be cool). Makes it annoying if you look for something specific. Fortunately, I've just been going in, browsing, and picking up what interests me.

The Virgin store in Times Square also has a nifty SACD section, with lots of Concord titles. You just have to go all the way downstairs and in the back corner to find it.

4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I agree. Tower is great with selection when it comes to SACD and DVD-A, but when it comes to prices they are usually anything but great[​IMG]

J

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Their prices are wild. For your typical pop CD, $18.99 is the norm. Their SACD prices tend to be reasonable. Some of their jazz can be quite cheap. I've been picking up RVG Blue Note remasters for $9.99 a pop, which is real sweet. So I go there for SACD and some jazz.

6. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

Thanks for the tip Mike - I had been looking for that SACD section in the Virgin ever since they moved it from the DVD section on the first lower level. The Tower Records I was referring to was the one on 4th street.