Tower Records and Chapter 11

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ChrisHeflen, Feb 5, 2004.

1. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Looks like they are gonna file.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...sic_tower_dc_1

I used to shop them because they had a great selection of cd singles and imports and great prices.
    Well times have changed and they have a piss poor selection and the highest prices in town.
    I like how they blame it on Walmart and the internet.
    It's more like
    Their "on sale now" for $19.98?
    Which is 7 and 8 $$'s more than everybody else.
    It makes sense to me; raise prices, get more buisness.

Rude sales people that act like your botherng them.

Ingeredients for a boomin' buisness.

2. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Get this, I went into Sound Shop a few days ago trying to find the following albums on CD which have been released.

Eye to Eye
    Chilliwack Wanna Be A Star

Since these are "uncool" and "old" titles I'll have to buy them off the net.

While in there I noticed they have a copy of Boston's debut album from 1976 on CD for $18.99.
    What the hell is up with that? That album (even newer 20bit "remastered" versions) should be no more than say $13.

3. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I used to go to Tower in the city after work at least once a week, and spend an hour or so browsing the store. They had hard to find music and good prices.

Now they just sell the hits for $3-$8 more than anyone else.

The only thing I would miss about Tower is that they still have the best Jazz and Classical sections in town, even if they are only about half the size they were back in the 80's.

4. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

While they had a great selection, the prices were always obscene. Could not keep up with the net for my shopping taste. Never saw a huge crowd in the local one, but it's in the burbs.

5. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Their online store is great for CDs. They ship orders quickly, typically have some kind of across the board sale, and on-and-off have free 2 day FedEx shipping on orders of over $20.

Oh well.

6. JohnPop

JohnPop Stunt Coordinator

I bought 20 records from their online store the day after christmas for 5-6 bucks each and free shipping.

[​IMG]

7. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I don't shop at Tower Records, although I did recently buy a Criterion DVD from Tower Video across the street.

If they close the Tower Records on Sunset it'll be the end of an era, simple as that regardless of the pros and cons. I don't buy from them and I think they're expensive but I'd hate see it go. It's an L.A. landmark.

8. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

So, pretty much any one cd or dvd, huh? [​IMG] Seriously though, I must at least thank our local Tower Records for having Seven Samurai Criterion (first pressing) and Sid & Nancy Criterion when these dvds first when OOP. [​IMG]

9. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

For DVDs they have to be among the most expensive on the net, but for CDs, they're typically cheaper than Amazon. Recently I purchased a bunch of CDs online that were all marked 25% off, and then was able to take an additional 10% off with a coupon. And I got free 2 day FedEx shipping. Did I mention that they shipped all the items only a day after I placed the order?