What's new

Tower Heist - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I found this film to be a hodge-podge of screenwriting, just barely paying enough attention to provide any form of character development for a somewhat wide cast of characters who either work or live in a hotel for wealthy folks in New York City, and keying in on a timely public sentiment when it comes to the Occupy movement, and the Bernie Madeoff ponzi schemes. I'm grateful that the marketing keeps most of the 3rd act underwraps, and just props up the premise of the film (Alan Alda's character being a Bernie Madeoff-like character, and bilked large sums of people's retirement, including the crew from the hotel he lived in, and some of the hotel crew go after a probable getaway nest egg of $20 million). Ben Stiller has very little to do while being the lead character, playing far too much of the straight guy to garner much laughs from his character, even with Eddie Murphy acting on a manic level that thoroughly overwhelms the rest of the acting energy from the cast. It would make for a decent matinee viewing to pass a few hours. I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
It would make for a decent matinee viewing to pass a few hours.
That would be my take on it too. When I saw it, some of the jokes would kill and some of the jokes crashed and burned so badly that you could hear a pin drop after they were told. Eddie Murphy was pretty funny (and I haven't found him funny in a live action movie in about 15 years) but he probably would have been funnier if he was allowed to improv on a R rated level. And the always awesome Michael Pena was the most consistently funny person in the movie.

Al_S

Second Unit
I really didn't like any of the characters in this movie. The part of the film with getting the car down was pretty cool though.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I enjoyed it. It's more of a movie you catch while channel flipping on a lazy Sunday and end up watching. Not really worth seeking out and planning around, but enjoyable enough to entertain you for a couple hours.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I won't be as kind as Patrick. A C- at best. A mess of a film with really no humor and a very boring storyline. Not enough to hold my interest as I kept wanting it to end 30 minutes in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks