What's new

Tower as center? (1 Viewer)

TimDoss

Second Unit
Has anyone tried putting a tower speaker on it's side as a center speaker? I am running Klipsch RF-3's and

am about to upgrade to the RC-3 center, but was wondering if another RF-3 would work better? I have heard before

that ideally you would want the same speaker all the way around. I saw a picture of one that the guy had cut a

new face for it and built a center out of a tower, with the two woofers flanking the tweeter, and

that wouldn't be hard to do, but I would think that the woofers would have to be the right distance

apart and away from the tweeter to get the best results. Any comments, ideas or suggestions?

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Well obviously that would provide the ideal timbre match, though you should do a comparison to the R3 Center's drivers and see if the timbre match is perfect anyway. The large benefit of using a tower as a center is that it should in theory have more horizontal dispersion and a wider sweetspot. However, that purpose is defeated by putting it on its side. I posit that if you are going to put it on its side, you may as well get the actual center unless 1) the center is a lot more expensive, or 2) the center isn't actually a good timbre match.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have to agree with Eric, you will kill the imaging of a tower by laying it on it's side, in which case, you might as well just have gotten a center channel. The horn loaded tweeter is square, if I'm not mistaken, so it will probably have decent dispersion, but it's interaction with the mids will be destroyed.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Tim,

I'm guessing you've seen a pic of HornEd's KLF-30 center over on the Klipsch forum. A few other guys on the forum have also converted speakers to centers. Do a search or post and ask questions as they're always willing to share. I may do the same with a KLF-20 in the near future. Take care...Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks