What's new

Tournament: Most important event in history! (1 Viewer)

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
"I will Nominate King Edward I signing the Magna Carta in 1297."

Um...Edward I didn't sign the Magna Carta, John did.

I'll second:

The Fall of the Roman Empire
The Industrial Revolution
The American Revolution

I'll nominate:

The Reformation
The French Revolution
The Abolishment of Colonialism in the 20th century

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Show me proof of the big bang, and I'll gladly second it.
The theory is being called into question, more and more.

And shouldn't this be limited to history, as opposed to pre-history.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Keep 'em coming! One thing: some of the nominations are a collection of events (Neolithic Revolution, Industrial Revolution, etc) and it might be a little difficult to put them in the same category as a specific event such as man landing on the moon (which could be one event in the 'Technology Revolution'. If you guys think that won't have much effect on the outcome, I'll include them. I just wanted to raise the point while I was updating the list.
Thanks again!
PS: Some date the signing of the Magna Carta in 1215. Anyone?
PPS: Justin, isn't the Reformation pinpointed to Martin Luther and his posting of his 95 Theses?
PPPS: Agreed, John. Any events that are based in theory/faith/whatever probably won't be able to be accepted to keep some sort of integrity. Yeah, I know...me worried about integrity. Hoot. :laugh:
...and if I miss someone's nomination/second, let me know via PM; I'm kinda blind sometimes.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
PPPS: Agreed, John. Any events that are based in theory/faith/whatever probably won't be able to be accepted to keep some sort of integrity. Yeah, I know...me worried about integrity. Hoot.
Wait a minute, the theory of the big bang is not allowed because it is just that, a theory. But you are allowing Darwin's Theory of Evolution (at least you remind us that it needs a second). His theory is "called into question" by several current scientists just as much as the Big Bang theory is (I'm not referring to "creationism scientists" either), a theory is a theory and neither of these has been absolutely proven yet.
And if the argument is that The Formulation of his theory was an event that changed the lives of many then I would argue that the formulation of the Big Bang Theory is no less a benchmark in human history, one of the first widely excepted (in the scientific world there have certainly been it's detractors but not nearly as many as Darwin) theories explaining the beginning of "everything" that did not have religion as it's base.
I'm just saying we should try to keep this as even-handed as we can guys.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough, Kevin. The formulation of the Big Bang theory is in and the formulation of the theory of evolution is in need of a second. On a side note, I would think that those who advocate the Big Bang would also be in favor of the theory of evolution. Anyhow, enough of that.
Why do I think that most of the nominees are going to be scientific in nature? ;)

MichaelAW

Second Unit
I'll nominate:

14 July 1789: The storming of the Bastille and the start of the French Revolution - it's the event that started the 19th Century

4 October 1957: The launch of Sputnik - first satellite in orbit

12 April 1961: Yuri Gagarin's launch - first man to leave the earth

I'll second:

The formation of classical physics by Newton
Mohammed fleeing from Mecca
Kennedy's assassination

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I'll nominate the slave trade which separated families, erasing languages, sir names and family histories. This has created problems which are deeply rooted and still with us today.

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
Dec. 28, 1895 - the first public exhibition of a motion picture by the Lumiere brothers, thus the birth of film.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
This would be a difficult question to answer for the most important event over the past 100 years, even moreso for 1000. Beyond that it's damn near impossible to narrow it down. If I had to pick out the one most important event that has happened since humans first walked the earth I would vote for the first time man figured out how to use fire.

Michael Fennessy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Fennessy
You guys are right, King John, 1215 = Magna Carta. Man, would my professors be pissed at me. That's what you get with a quick google I guess.

Mike

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I'll second the formulation of the theory of evolution, and Nominate October 21, 1600 - Battle of Sekigahara, which enabled the formation of the Tokugawa Shogunate.

John.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Without question, the most significant event in history was in 1970 when The Beatles broke up!
Don't even try to top that one!

AllanN

Supporting Actor
"LO" 10:30PM October, 29 1969 The first charecters ever transmitted over the APRANet. The staff at UCLA was trying to type login but the system crahsed before they could compleate the command.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Justin, I gave up on it. It's a good idea in theory but nominations were overlapping one another. Just too broad in scope, I suppose. Lesson learned and will be applied to my next poll. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks