What's new

Toughest speakers to set-up well in a room? (1 Viewer)

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Just wondering which speakers people here had trouble "dialing-in"...I know of a few "tricky" ones, anybody want to start the list....?

A

Anthony_Gomez

any subwoofer is the hardest :)
They are the most impacted by the "room"
..or were you refering to what "mains" were hard to dial in?
;)

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say the Martin Logan stuff wasn't exactly a piece of cake. The aeri...s's can sound pretty anemic if done wrong.

Rear ported stuff is harder for walls. Some of the NHT is quite sensitive to Wall proximity. Gershman Accoustic Avante Guardes and Nuance speakers ; )

A

Anthony_Gomez

Any think that is a dipole is dificult because most people don'realize that they need more than normal amounts of "breathing room"

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Any bipolar Def-Tech. They have to be a certain distance from the wall and need to be toed in just right. I've never had a speaker that was so fussy as to where it sat.

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
Aerial Model 8B's. They have a side firing bass driver and weigh about 130lbs each. Positioning them is the hardest part, but they can sound great when set up properly.

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
I've got this BOSE home theater system, man that thing is so hard to setup. No matter where I hide those little cubes it always sounds exactly the same.... like I spent too much ; )

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Any bipolar Def-Tech. They have to be a certain distance from the wall and need to be toed in just right. I've never had a speaker that was so fussy as to where it sat.
Agreed
Any bipolar period. My old Mirage M7si, and M5si were very difficult as well.

-rob

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a hell of time with my SoundLab A3's. I know what they are capable of having been around several pairs of them and the A1's over the years. They like a lot of space and being huge bipolars, can get really fussy about rear wave reflections. I can only get them to sound resonable one at a time. I'm no rookie at this, if fact have a bit of a rep for my capabilities with bizarre, illogical and unorthodox system arrangements. Still, the A3's refuse to weave their spell for me. (snivel, snivel)
Finally own one of my dream speakers and they SUCK! Life is misery, kharma is a load of crap and there is no Supreme Being. Hmmmm, maybe if I could find a pair of MBL's......

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Agreed
Any bipolar period. My old Mirage M7si, and M5si were very difficult as well.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
Wow, the Mirage reps favorite demo is to place them "uncentered" in a room, facing each other and play them...tells you to walk all around the room, and guess what, he's right they produce a sound stage!...then he makes you walk right up to one and put your nose to the cabinet...still stereo...unbelievable...works even better as Omnipolars....

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Wow, the Mirage reps favorite demo is to place them "uncentered" in a room, facing each other and play them...tells you to walk all around the room, and guess what, he's right they produce a sound stage!...then he makes you walk right up to one and put your nose to the cabinet...still stereo...unbelievable...works even better as Omnipolars....
LOL, maybe they wern't as good as I thought! I had trouble with too much mid-bass. My smallish room probably did not help.

-rob

Mike Poindexter

Stunt Coordinator
Although the bipolars are the most difficult for placement, I would have to say that the small group of "super speakers" are a b*tch to set up because it take so damn many people to move them. It is one thing relocating a definitive, but try to relocate a 600 pound, 7.5' tall woofer that won't slide on carpet whatsoever. It is almost as dangerous as taking an injured mastiff to the vet...

Models that come to mind are the Genesis 1.1, Infinity IRS V, Concert Masters Armageddon, Wilson Grand Slamm, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks