What's new

Tough speaker locations (1 Viewer)

Harley

Stunt Coordinator
My room is 13 ft. wide 30 ft. long, on one wall it has an opening of 12 ft. which spills out into the rest of the house, I want to set up a 6.1/7.1 arrangement I'm not able to place dipoles at my sides,because that is where the 12 ft. hole is. I can place speakers on the wall for the 5.1 part, about nine ft. behind the main seating area to the side walls(six ft. straight back or total of nine ft.) should I use direct firing speakers aimed directly at central seating area or would dipoles work this far back? Keep in mind that the dipoles forward firing side would be aimed towards an imaginary wall(12 ft. opening). From the location of the sides I am left with about ten 1/2 feet to the back wall for the rear's should I use dipoles or direct fires there, also I could place the rears on the vaulted ceiling.
My speaker budget not counting subs is $2000-$4000 I am going with Denon 3802 any recommendations for speakers welcomed. My Wife likes the looks of B&W CM 4 & 2 speakers, she is not concerned with the sound!, and I made the mistake of leaving all the brochures I've been accumulating from speaker manufactures laying out, I've not been able to audition the B&W's, are they worth considering since they already have the built in Wife Approval Factor?
[Edited last by Harley on August 13, 2001 at 06:49 PM]
[Edited last by Harley on August 13, 2001 at 06:50 PM]

Steve_D

Second Unit
Well,B&W CDM series are nice speakers so I wouldn't feel cheated if I had to go with them. On the other hand Paradigm Studios are nice also I went with Studio 20s over the B&W CDM series after auditioning both. Others to listen to include Dynaudio. I really don't have more input but as you can see long run together posts are hard to read and irritating so i would suggest breaking it up a bit more with line breaks or numbered questions or something a little easier to digest.
------------------
Link Removed

Harley

Stunt Coordinator
I tried to edit the post into several paragraphs but when I hit submit reply for some reason it bunches it all together.
Your right it is very irritating to read my post,in the future I will take your advice.
Bottom-line will dipoles vs. direct fire deliver the best sound on the sides nine feet behind the seating area?
Directly from the seating area to the side is the 12 ft. opening which spills out into the rest of the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks