Tough Question.... I Need A High Pass Filter For My LFE

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveMo, Sep 7, 2002.

1. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

I can't find anything about an inexpensive high pass filter for my LFE channel. It must have a cuttoff for at least 23 HZ and it must be capable of handling a DTS or DD LFE channel from my reciever. I want to get rid of all frequencies bellow the 23 HZ range. It's ok if it is a feature on a preamp. It also must have, RCA jacks and a way to turn down or up the signals volume.

Could anybody help?

2. SteveMo

Or should I sell my current subs and get a SVS sub?

Don't some of those have a selectable high pass filter in the amps they come with?

3. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

The Crown and Samson amps don't have filters on them. SVS sell a little black box that does the trick. It can be used with any sub. Check out the site below or send them an email ..... they will answer.
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/marchandsubsonic.htm

4. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

For the cost of the svs blackbox, the Behringer can be had for less and has lots of other functions for tuning sub. It's somewhat complex to use however. You may benefit from upgrading the sub rather than trying to filter/eq it.

5. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

I actually have both the SVS box and a BFD. They are not interchangeable and serve different functions. The BFD does not have a filter but an unalterable 20 Hz floor for tuning your sub. I believe the BFD will pass the signal below 20Hz unaltered and the SVS box will cut it off at the dialed level. My SVS box is before the BFD cut at 20Hz for my dual Ultras. I also use the SVS box to boost my LFE signal to Pro gear strength.

6. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

It may have a 20hz floor but nobody in their right mind would add a cut below 25hz and boosting below 25hz is also not something you can do much of. He needs better subs more than better tweaking equipment.

7. SteveMo

Do the SVS subs do their own cutoff or could they "bottom out"?

8. SteveMo

Oops nevermind it does. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now to decide which one to get.

9. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

SVS subs and most any sub can bottom out. The SVS box or other band pass filter will help guard against this by stopping the sub from trying to reproduce material it was not designed to reproduce resulting in the sub operating in its "comfort" zone.

IMO, raw (i.e. without the Marchland Box or BFD) SVS subs are slow to bottom with most material when properly calibrated.

10. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Steve, I was referring to the non-amplified models. You have found your own answer for the integrated units.

11. SteveMo

To me it looks as if the bashamp can do the same thing that the marchland box did. Can't it? Besides I tried the marchland box and it was a defective one we think. It was making my subs hum and it sputterd at me everytime I had the unit unplugged from the wall while still connected.

I am a little hesitant to say that the same thing might not happen if I got a new one. They will credit it towards a sub or give me a refund at SVS. They were very good at communicating with me.

12. SteveMo