Tough Decision

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kevin Patterson, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Kevin Patterson

Kevin Patterson Stunt Coordinator

I am trying to decide what sub I would like to get. The options are a Blueprint 1503 in a vented sonotube or two Dayton IB's in an IB or wait for the new stryke sub to come out the 15". The cost will be roughly the same I am sure the output will be roughly the same but as far as sound I don't know. If anyone has heard one or more of these can you tell me what they sound like. I suppose the IB will sound cleaner but not have as much output as the Blueprint and the Stryke i have no idea since there not out yet. If there are any other subs out there for around 300$ can someone post a link? Thanks a lot:

Kevin

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

3. Kevin Patterson

Are those much better than the daytons? Also are those prices in USD or Candian? Also how much power will these need in IB i cant find the specs.

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

They're more like the BluePrint driver than anyhing else. So a much more 'manly' driver than the Dayton IB15

Since they don't say what currency, I think it's safe to assume $USD

Here are the T/S parameters
    http://www.dbdrive.net/tech/speakerspecs.html

5. Kevin Patterson

Thanks A Lot Thomas I will look into these. Does anyone know how much power will be sufficient to power two of these in an IB?

6. Kevin Patterson

By the way I will probably get the rythmik 380wrms amp will this be enough?

7. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Using 2 drivers each with a Pmax of 2000 watts, I probably opt for a bigger amp.

8. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

you will have to moddle them p max is different than what it takes to get to x max and is the le a little high?

9. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The Le on that page is a typo, 92 as I recall is the rated efficiency

10. Kevin Patterson

So how much power would you sudgest? Also are there anyother IB Subs out there that would be happy with 380Wrms?

11. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

For those speakers yes, I suggest using an amp with higher power. Look around, get something that has atleast 300 watts/channel.

If for some reason You've fallen in love with that particular amp, then use Tempests, or DVC-15's or IB-15"s

12. Kevin Patterson

LOL I just want that amp because its in a nice price range for the power. Thanks for all the sudgestions Thomas I will look over everything including my budget and I'll let everyone know what i decide to buy. Thanks everyone:
    Kevin

13. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

Thomas,

Just out of curiosity, since they sell for very close to the price of a Tempest, do you like these better than
    a Tempest, or why did you suggest them instead of
    a Tempest?

I did look at the numbers for each driver but it still
    does not mean alot to me....:b

thanks...

- Cam

14. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Cam,

Higher power handling and greater displacement. It has a 20mm Xmax and a Pe of 2000 watts. Tempest has 16.4mm Xmax and a Pe of 750 watts

15. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

Thanks Thomas........does the fact that
    it 'can' handle more power mean that it
    'requires' more power, or just that it would
    be a waste not to take advantage of it, & that
    is why you suggested a larger amp?

16. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

They have more excursion and can handle higher power.

Sometimes car audio mfgr's are 'optimistic', when rating the efficiency of their products. So buying an amp with higher power can't hurt since these things have such a high Pe (Pmax = max input power).

17. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

So you saying the 92db efficiency is an "optimistic" number and it's probably closer to the 89-90 range?

The tempest probably has a better LE rating so it might sound better. Although the DB should spank the tempest in the amount of output.

Two 15s should be enough for most rooms though so maybe he should be more concerned which sub will sound better or go deeper. The tempest has a lower FS.. of like 19hz as opposed to 23hz.

18. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Chris,

I haven't played with the dB Drivers, historically car specific drivers have been somewhat optimistic with regard to efficiency.

I don't know what the Le is for the dB. I've played with enough subs with various Le's to know that a somewhat higher LE isn't really a big deal. Case in point are the BluePrints.

The Fs difference is really a nonissue (again case in point the BluePrints and the Stryke HE-15). All subs need some form of EQ. So if it's not filled in by room gain (and usually it is) then dial in a touch of boost

19. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Those DB Drives certainly do look manly. But when I plug the parameters into Win ISD (and assume Sd = 830cm^2) it calculates 85dB/watt or 86dB/2.83V. Looks like with about 500 watts/driver you'd stay within Xmax down to about 15Hz.

And it looks like in the really low range the DB Drive woofer with 250 watts performs about like the Dayton IB15 with 50 watts.

The only thing I don't like about the IB 15's is that the sims say they can only handle about 50 watts on the low end. I guess they're just so much more sensitive/efficient which is a good thing. But the fact that PE recommends 100 watts makes me think that theres a discrepency here somewhere.

Given all this it would make sense that the DB Drive woofer would give you about 3dB more headroom (to Xmax) in the low end, given adequate amplifier power.

I agree with Cam's suggestion that high thermal power handling is not always a good thing and I find that it often is an indicator of a low sensitivity driver.