What's new

tough decision, need some help (1 Viewer)

david*mt

Second Unit
I am having trouble deciding between these two TVs. Maybe someone could give me a recomendation. I want a good TV for DVDs in a bedroom. Both of them have a 16:9. Could someone please explain what this does and why it is an advantage over TVs that don't have one? The Samsung would be a little cheaper. Maybe someone has some experience with either of these.
Sony/Samsung

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Either of those tv's is going to give you a great picture for dvd viewing. The Sony is certainly a little better in overall picture quality but not by a whole lot. If the price is a serious issue for you than I would just tell you to go with the Samsung. If you don't mind a spending a little more money you'll find the Sony to be a better tv overall.
In regards to the 16:9 squeeze: I'm not a tv guru but I certainly know the basics. So, with that in mind here is my explanation. The tv is basically going to squash all the picture data into the 16:9 portion of the screen. This will increase the resolution by %33. It may not sound like a mind blowing change but it certainly makes a big difference. Your going to get the best possible resolution and picture quality out of your anamorphic dvd's. It's a fantastic feature for the tv's that offer it and it's a great feature for people wanting tv's for today's world.
What I mean by that is the HD broadcasting won't begin for a little while longer. That means you can enjoy your tv viewing in normal 4:3 mode and then switch to the 16:9 for dvd's. You get the best of both worlds right now. In the future of course we will all own widescreen tv's. :)
Dan.b

John-Miles

Screenwriter
just to clarify what Daniel said the squeeze dosent actually compress the picture it just neglects to scan the black bars and compresses the scan lines into the viewable picture. so the picture remains the same size, but the resolution is higher.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 32" Sony Wega and it is a wonderful set. Just remember that the Samsung you are looking does not have a s-video connection to it at all. Just a thought to keep in mind.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The feature compresses the active scanning-line raster of the native 4:3 ratio into a 16:9 shape. Whereas before it was "squeezed," the 480 lines were occupying the entire 4:3 tube. After the squeeze, all the lines are compressed into a 16:9 window, leaving dead space above and below the active picture.

There is no increase in resolution occurring.

Instead, when a DVD encoded in the 16:9 format is played, the signal can be output into a 16:9 window, allowing for all 480 lines of picture information to be displayed and proportioned correctly.

Otherwise, the DVD player would have to output in 4:3 letterboxed mode, tossing out every third line of active picture information in order to paint the black bars above and below the image. In-player downconversion results in a loss of resolution as a result. A 16:9 mode allows you to keep the resolution that's already there.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Well, on a non progressive tv i've heard there is a %33 gain in resolution. I guess I had a bad source of info?

Dan.b

david*mt

Second Unit
The Sony Wega has a 16:9 Vertical Compression mode while the Samsung is just listed as having a 16:9 mode for widescreen viewing. Is there a difference?

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Thats the same thing.
have you looked at the toshibas in that size? Im not sure if they do the squeeze or not, but if they do the toshibas are usually cheaper than the sony's, and a great picture :)

Users who are viewing this thread