Tough call here! Good deal?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DavidCooper, Jul 14, 2005.

1. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

So a good buddy of mine works at one of our local high end HT stores. They are in the process of clearing out some floor models (never used just on display) to make way for some new gear.

He has offered me a Rotel 1075 (120 watts) amp and the 1068 processor for a grand totaly of $1874.00 That's over $1,000 off of retail. Hard deal to pass up.

I currently have a Parasound HCA-855A (85 watts) running with a Denon 2802 as the pre-amp.

So, my question is.......would this be a good "upgrade" for the money?

What do you guys think?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    No question that's an upgrade, IMO.

3. DavidCooper

Yeah, this is going to be hard to pass up. I've been wanting to get a real processor instead of using my older Denon. With such a good deal on the price this looks like a good time to step up and go for it.

I would think the difference between the 85 watts and the 120 watts won't be that big of a deal. But the Rotel processor will be a big step up from the Denon I would think.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I was going to say that too. Actually, if your speakers like plenty of current, the 120w could make a difference, but I wouldn't say it is going to be a night and day. I went from 105w to 120w and I could tell that the new receiver wasn't working as hard, but the sound wasn't really any different. The processor though, should be a pretty noticable improvement.

5. DavidCooper

Agreed....that 1068 "should" be a big improvement on the Denon. Enough to justify the cost. I could get just the processor if I wanted and pick up a bigger amp later on down the line. $1154 for a brand new 1068 is a heck of a deal.

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

The 1068 doesn't have DPLIIx. So, if you never plan for a 7.1 system this is a pretty good deal.

On the other hand, if 7.1 interests you, you would do better with an Outlaw 990/7100 combo for just a bit more.

Just because something is heavily discounted doesn't mean it is your best bet.

20 watts really doesn't make much difference.

The Outlaw 990 is $1099 and considerably more up-to-date than the Rotel.

7. DavidCooper

Arthur, I was under the impression that the first batch of 1068's didn't have PL IIx but the more recent ones do. This was taken from their specs on the Rotel website. It says it has PL IIx.

Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Prologic IIx, DTS, DTS_ES, DTS96/24, LPCM (up to 192K), HDCD, MP3, MPEGMultichannel

8. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

David

Rotel really needs to clean up its website, but you are correct. The specs clearly state 7.1 and PLIIx. With that in mind, it looks like an excellent piece.

9. DavidCooper

Yeah, I was confused by their site as well. But I was checking on some reviews and they mentioned it now has PLIIx.

That outlaw pre-amp is mighty tempting though. Your getting a TON of features for that kind of money.

10. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Yes, that auto speaker set-up is getting to be a very popular feature. The balanced outputs are a very high end feature. There is a good chance Outlaw will introduce amps with balanced inputs.

You are in a bit of a bind time wise. I don't know what to tell you. If time was not a factor, I would say get the 990 and when Outlaw comes out with its balanced input amps, get your amp then.

I suppose it comes down to how valuable auto speaker set-up is. I can say, more and more people are adding that feature to their must have list.

11. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

Go with the Rotel, I have the 1066 and have been pleased. The 1068 is said to be a big step up as far as sound quality.

12. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I think that's a good deal on the package, but $1154 for the 1068 isn't that great. My friend bought his new when they were just out, and paid $1200.
    I would have said go for it, but since the Outlaw stuff has been thrown in the mix, it's a tough call. I agree with the others here about the processor making the most difference. You're not really gaining too much with the amp switch.
    I have heard the Rotel and it's a very nice peice for sure, plus they have been coming out with software upgrades so they haven't forgotten it. But the Outlaw would be tempting to me.
    Can you return the Rotel if you don't like it?
    Get them both and compare.

13. DavidCooper

At almost $500 bucks off the retail price I just may jump on it and move up to a bigger amp later on.

I just don't think moving from my parasound to the rotel will be that significant unless it was like 200 watts per channel..but 85 to 125 isn't going to wow me.

How did he get a 1068 new for $1200 ??? That is a heck of a deal. They are going for that and more used on Audiogon.

14. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

It's called yelling at people.

15. DavidCooper

Geeze, he must have yelled hard. Brand new that was a steal

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I don't understand this comment. As a display unit, it's probably been used quite extensively, though likely not played at extreme volumes for prolonged periods. However, display units often have their buttons mashed far more than under normal home usage.

Keep the warranty under consideration, just in case it's got lurking problems from being a mistreated display unit.

17. DavidCooper

Yeah, I realize displays are normally hooked up and used. But this one has not been at all. They kind of have different showroom. All the Rotel gear is set up on these pedastals and those are the ones that aren't used. Then they have a dedicated Rotel room with each model already hooked up and ready to play. That room has various speakers that can be interchanged.

So, the actual display is just that. Still has the plastic strip on the digital window, all packing material, box etc.

Also, the guy that works there is a long time close friend.....normally I wouldn't believe that it's "display" only but in this case he is shooting me straight.

If there ended up being any issues with the unit I would have no hassles with an exchange at anytime.

18. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

David

I am going to play devil's advocate.

The Rotel is a very good piece. You still seem to be in the "I'm getting a really good deal on this and that is more important than more features" state of mind.

I love a bargain, but there is no doubt that auto speaker set-up is the wave of the future.

19. DavidCooper

Auto speaker set-up would be nice. But, what exactly does it do differently than doing it yourself?

I mean it isn't that hard to put in your settings and break out the SPL meter is it?

What does the auto set up do differently that would make it a strong selling point? I'm not familiar with what it actually does?

I'm still considering both the Outlaw and the Rotel.

20. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

David

You are correct. I was confusing auto speaker set-up with auto EQ. You can indeed do the same things with an SPL meter. I called Outlaw and the 990 does not have auto EQ. The guy said they are thinking about adding auto EQ as a software upgrade, but he did not say that it was a sure thing or when it might be available.

So, for now, the auto speaker set-up is not that big a deal. The guy went on to mention a number of other features the 990 has. I have no idea how important any of them would be to you but it might not hurt to call the pre order number and let them tell you about the 990.

With that, I think it is time for me to bow out and let you do what feels best to you. The Rotel is surely a fine piece. You can't go wrong with either Rotel or Outlaw.