Touchstone Press Release: "Signs"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The $220+ Million Box Office Phenomenon
    Arrives On VISTA DVD & VHS

M. Night Shyamalan’s
    SIGNS

Academy Award Winner Mel Gibson Stars In Thriller

VISTA Series DVD Includes Many Bonus Features
    Available January 7, 2003

BURBANK, Calif., October 10, 2002 – Touchstone Home Entertainment proudly presents the incredible $220+ million box office hit thriller SIGNS, available to own on VISTA series DVD and on VHS on January 7, 2003. SIGNS, the latest critically-acclaimed film from M. Night Shyamalan, the writer and director of “The Sixth Sense,” stars Academy Award winner Mel Gibson (Best Director and Best Picture, “Braveheart,” 1995) in a suspenseful thriller in which one family’s faith is tested when human emotions are set in motion by an extraordinary event. The VISTA series DVD edition of SIGNS is a quality home entertainment experience designed in concert with filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan. This comprehensive DVD includes an array of fascinating bonus features, including never-before-seen deleted scenes, a behind-the-scenes tour of this unique, exciting film, and more. SIGNS on VISTA DVD is presented in 5.1 Dolby Surround audio with the most pristine digital presentation of the film available.

SIGNS ON DVD WILL INCLUDE:

•LOOKING FOR SIGNS:
    A DVD diary about the writing of the script. Writer/Director M. Night Shyamalan, on the set of SIGNS, discusses some of the inspirations for the film.

•MAKING SIGNS:
    A commentary by M. Night Shyamalan. M. Night and his team take us through the filming of SIGNS, explaining not only how the film was made but also providing comments on the significance of some key sequences.

•BUILDING SIGNS:
    M. Night Shyamalan and his storyboard artist explain the storyboard process, an essential preliminary visualization of the film.

•THE EFFECTS OF SIGNS:
    The physical and visual effects employed in SIGNS are explored. Then, a tour of Industrial Light and Magic commences, displaying the different steps involved in the process of film effects, including the animatronics work realized on the set.

•SIGNS: THE MUSIC:
    Celebrated composer James Newton Howard discusses his work on the music of SIGNS.

•FULL CIRCLE:
    SIGNS’ filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan explains the steps taken to ensure that SIGNS reaches its audience.

•DELETED SCENES:
    Graham And Merrill
    The Flashbacks (2)
    The Dead Bird
    Alien In The Attic and The Third Story

•STORYREELS: MULTI-ANGLE FEATURES:
    Two animated storyboard scenes which the viewer can watch. Viewers can use the angle feature to switch between viewing the animated version or the final scene.
    Viewers can choose between three audio options while using the multi-angle feature: Dolby 5.1 Final Mix, Dolby 5.1 Score Only and Dolby 5.1 Effects Only.

•M. NIGHT'S FIRST ALIEN MOVIE:
    Childhood home movie with Intro by M. Night Shyamalan

Everything that farmer Graham Hess (Mel Gibson) assumed about the world is changed when he discovers a message – an intricate pattern of circles and lines – carved into his crops. As he investigates the unfolding mystery, what he finds will forever alter the lives of his brother (Joaquin Phoenix, Academy Award nominee, Best Supporting Actor, “Gladiator,” 2000) and children (Rory Culkin, Abigail Breslin). SIGNS explores the eerie real-life phenomena of crop signs and the possibility that they may be extraterrestrial in origin. As the shocking secret of the circles is revealed, it dramatically effects the lives and faiths of Hess and his family.

SIGNS’ director/writer/producer M. Night Shyamalan earned Academy Award® nominations for his hugely popular film “The Sixth Sense” (nominated Best Director and Best Screenplay, 1999). In addition to Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix, the cast of SIGNS includes Tony Award-winner Cherry Jones (“Erin Brockovich,” “Cradle Will Rock”), Rory Culkin (“You Can Count On Me”), newcomer Abigail Breslin and Patricia Kalember (TV’s “Thirtysomething”).

Street Date:January 7, 2003
    Direct prebook:November 12, 2002
    Distributor prebook:November 26, 2002
    Running Time:Approximately 106 minutes
    Rated:“PG-13 For Some Frightening Moments”
    Bonus DVD materials unrated and subject to change
    Aspect ratio:Widescreen 1.85:1, formatted for 16x9 screens
    Sound:5.1 Dolby Surround
    THX Certified
    French language track

The VISTA series (Vision, Imagination, Style, Theme, Artistry) is a partnership with filmmakers that presents the definitive version of the filmmaker’s cinematic vision, with premium picture and sound enhancements, and in-depth supplemental bonus programming derived from collaboration with the filmmaker.

Touchstone Home Entertainment is distributed by Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc., a recognized industry leader. Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc. is the marketing, sales and distribution company for Walt Disney, Touchstone, Miramax, Dimension and Buena Vista videocassettes and DVDs.

2. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Hmm.. and here I thought this was going to be mostly a barebones + trailer release. Guess I won't wait for the eventual 2-disc version afterall. I'm surprised Night is doing a commentary for this.

3. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Actually I take it that Night's commentary will be like the Al Pacino and Russell Crowe 'commentary' on The Insider.

They should include as an Easter Egg M. Night's Horror Film from The Sixth Sense that was left off the Vista release, for apparently no reason.

4. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Now THOSE are specs.

5. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

Woo hoo!

I was having second thoughts about waiting for a Vista release, thinking the first release would be a bare-bones. I really enjoyed the Vista release of Unbreakable and was looking forward to Signs. Now I don't have to worry!

6. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

7. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

[​IMG]
    So this Vista DVD is a 1-disker? That really surprises me. Why didn't they put the extras on a second disc ala Sixth Sense and Unbreakable Vista so that they could add a DTS track? Not to be the first of the "where's the DTS" posters, but this would be the first Vista Series without it (and DTS added quite a bit to Unbreakable and Sixth Sense).

8. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Is it going to be a 1 discer? I don't see anything in the press release, but the specs look far more in depth then Unbreakable, which was 2, and all Vistas have been at LEAST 2 (with the exception of Pearl Harbor). It looks to be about in line with Sixth Sense Vista, maybe slightly more in depth, which was 2, I don't see any reason to think this would be only 1.

9. Tom Rags

Chris-
    I don't see anywhere where it says "2-discs" or anything (in many places where it would be obvious to say 2-discs to tout the release.

For example, from the press release:

10. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Well now DVD File is saying it's 2-discs, so I guess I was wrong.

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

All over this one! Thanks for the 411!

12. Tom Rags

I stand corrected on the 1-disc/2-disc thing. Still, I wonder why they left off the DTS on the movie? It's not going to prevent me from buying the movie of course, but DTS was a staple on all previous Vista releases [​IMG]

13. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Vista DVDs haven't been THAT impressive in terms of overall video quality. This will be interesting to see. Will it be another EE edition? Those guys love to crank up the edge enhancement over there.