Touchless Paper Towel Dispensers

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by LewB, Jun 3, 2005.

1. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Seems like every public rest room I use has these installed now. They all seemed to appear overnight !

My guess is that they were sold as a way to save $ on supplies, but I just don't see it. Due to the fact that we all simply wave our hands in front of these things multiple times to get the amount of towel that we need.

Anyone know the story behind these ?

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

It's so germophobes like me don't have to touch the germ infested paper towel dispenser in order to get a power towel. [​IMG]

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I have yet to see one, but it has to be much better than those hand blow dryers...if there are no paper towels, what are you supposed to open the door with? [​IMG] Paper towels are a must!

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i think you answered your own question. it makes it harder to just rip 5 feet of paper towel out if the dispenser. it's been successful for me, i've used less paper towel because it was a pain to get more out of it. i'm guessing it is more for the germophobes, how much does paper towel really cost?

CJ

5. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    My work installed these. When I talked to the Maintenance Supervisor, he said they got the dispensers for free, then you are hooked into buying the towels from whatever company it is.

6. Ken CG

Ken CG Agent

I hate those!!! Wave your hand in front of it for a 1 foot piece of paper towel. Then it takes 2 or 3 seconds for it to give you another foot.

7. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I like them otherwise I have to push the lever to get the towel started so I don't have to touch that lever AFTER I've washed my hands. I always need a small bit of paper to turn off the faucet (if they aren't automatic) and to then press the lever on the towel dispenser to get enough to dry my hands and open the door with.

Like Kyle said, the air dryers suck because then there's nothing to open the door with! In those situations I've used my foot on the handle or even waited to see if some one else comes in so I can slip out without touching the door handle. :b

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    You fellow germophobes are not alone, if we had an army, I'd be Captain Germophobe!

I hate public restrooms. Some simple rules...

Never ride the pony bare back, pre-flush, always use an ass-gasket and use the center of that gasket to create a landing pad incase of splash back. Always was hands, dry, then turn off water with paper towel and exit said room with towel on handle.

9. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Yes, but remember, before you wash your hands you have to start the towel out of the dispenser so you don't have to touch the dispenser with your bare hand after you've washed. [​IMG]

10. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Always take a towel into the stall with you so you don't have to touch that latch which must be crawling with really nasty plague. [​IMG]

11. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

I don't know if we are germophobes so much as observant. I have lost count of how many times I have seen someone coming out of the stall, not even hesitating near the sinks, and then just walking out!

I took a really bad health class in high school and yet I always wash my hands before meals, and especially after using the facilities.

Good to know I am not the only one who uses the paper towel to open the door, especially after some slob walks out of a public restroom without washing her hands. UGH!

By the way, Ron, I never heard of those seat covers referred to as "ass gaskets." That's a good one! [​IMG]

12. Ken CG

Ken CG Agent

What's the point of an ass gasket? Is it really possible for a germ to crawl up my ass and make me sick?

13. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

This is a simple fix. Wave your hands in front of two of them at the same time.

14. Ken CG

Ken CG Agent

Hey, great idea! But most restrooms I've been to only have 1. Ah well.

Oh, I also hate public restrooms that have the blow driers only and don't have any of the paper towels. After I take a leak and wash my hands, I want out of the bathroom as soon as possible. I don't wanna wait there for my hands to dry.

Another gripe about public bathrooms. STALLS!! Why can't they put the toilets in rooms instead of stalls? I feel that I don't get any privacy when I poop in a stall. Some places actually do have the toilets in seperate rooms instead of stalls.

15. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

It's usually pretty easy to get a nice long towel out of the auto-dispenser. After you wave your hand in front of it once, without actually tearing off the sheet, gently pull the paper to trip the sensor that resets the machine then wave your hand again. Repeat until the towel is as long as you want it.

16. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    while we are on the topic of public restrooms, any guys here come across those urinals that are just little bowls mounted on the wall, without any privacy walls in between? the building where i spend most of my time at school has nothing but these in the men's room, and i find it very frustrating that i have almost no privacy while using them. where can you find a picture of this type of urinal, you may ask yourself? why, at www.urinal.net of course. on the "top 10 urinals" the type i'm referring to is at #1 for some reason. only with no walls in between.

CJ

17. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Has anyone seen those automatic handwashers? They have one at a local Red Robin. You stick your hands in these holes, you can go a full arms lenght if you want, and inside is a pressure washer that spins, soaps, sprays, and scrubs your hands clean. Can't remember if it drys them as well, but it was a pretty cool device. [​IMG]

18. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Christ, are you talking about "The Urinals of the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station"?

19. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

20. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

I always wondered if it was mostly men who fail to wash, but poor habits seem to extend to both genders.