What's new

Pre-Order Touch of Evil (1958) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
91dwdnxsFZL._SL1500_.jpg 81OpczPi6yL._SL1500_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

bobclampett

Agent
Real Name
Mike Banks
Love this movie. It’s been a while since I watched my Blu Ray copy, seem to remember a long vertical scratch on the original theatrical version. Wonder if this 4K release will address it. Love Henry Mancini’s score that opens the theatrical version.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Thanks for the heads-up on the review. Great film, my preference is for the Preview version, so will watch that first. Also looking forward to the Tim Lucas commentary on the theatrical cut, as he's my favourite commentator. Looks like another home run for KL.

Reactions: PMF

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Website High-Def Digest has a review of the Kino 4K disc and it looks like a positive review with a "spectacular 4K UHD presentation". Ordered mine thru Best Buy and hope to get it soon.

It probably is an upgrade from the Blu-ray but I’m vaguely tempted to hold out for a few more reviews since this one doesn’t compare them. “I don't own a Blu-ray copy of Touch of Evil, so can't compare the picture quality to this 4K UHD release…” and I wonder if we’ll ever get a set that has the 4:3 framing as an option in addition to the widescreen. I have an unfounded nostalgia for the theatrical 4:3 version simply because that was the first version I saw. Would sort of prefer 1.66 instead of 1.85 but I agree that 1.85 was probably the common masking in US theaters at the time of release.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It probably is an upgrade from the Blu-ray but I’m vaguely tempted to hold out for a few more reviews since this one doesn’t compare them. “I don't own a Blu-ray copy of Touch of Evil, so can't compare the picture quality to this 4K UHD release…” and I wonder if we’ll ever get a set that has the 4:3 framing as an option in addition to the widescreen. I have an unfounded nostalgia for the theatrical 4:3 version simply because that was the first version I saw. Would sort of prefer 1.66 instead of 1.85 but I agree that 1.85 was probably the common masking in US theaters at the time of release.
Touch Of Evil is one of my all-time favorite movies, one of the ten I would take to that mythical desert island. I've been very pleased with the Blu-ray disc and have never felt that further improvements were necessary. I won't buy the 4K disc until someone whose opinion I respect and trust declares it to be a worthwhile upgrade.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby

The UK Masters of Cinema release has a 1.37 version (both theatrical and reconstructed).

Nathan_H

Second Unit
The UK Masters of Cinema release has a 1.37 version (both theatrical and reconstructed).
Thanks for the tip. I had no idea. That’s awesome.

What’s the preferred UK vendor for shipping to the US?

(I wonder what other titles I should consider at the same time….)

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I ordered this from Deep Discount last Friday, it shipped on Saturday and received it yesterday on Monday. That’s one of the fastest orders that I received from DD after ordering it and then receiving it.

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Thanks for the tip. I had no idea. That’s awesome.

What’s the preferred UK vendor for shipping to the US?

Zavvi has it for $17.99 USD from their US site:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Zavvi has it for $17.99 USD from their US site:

That link opened their site on the correct product page, but with the country set to the United Kingdom. Clicking on the country selection drop-down shows it's set to Canada instead. Changing to the United States results in a message stating that the content isn't available in that region, and searching for Touch of Evil doesn't bring up the Blu-ray. Looks like Zavvi is having some issues with their website.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That link opened their site on the correct product page, but with the country set to the United Kingdom. Clicking on the country selection drop-down shows it's set to Canada instead. Changing to the United States results in a message stating that the content isn't available in that region, and searching for Touch of Evil doesn't bring up the Blu-ray. Looks like Zavvi is having some issues with their website.
Probably because it it not currently available from the Zaavi US site ...

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Did you also change Currency to USD?

touch.jpg

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Probably because it it not currently available from the Zaavi US site ...

Zavvi will ship to the United States even if you order through their UK site. I believe all orders ship from the same distribution centers regardless of which site you order from.

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Yep. It does that automatically for me when I change the region to the U.S., but as B-ROLL mentioned, this title isn't available from Zavvi in the U.S., so you have to order it from their U.K. "storefront."

The site is definitely behaving oddly. I was able to see Touch of Evil, even after selecting the US for region and USD for currency (as seen in the screenshot above), so long as I wasn't logged into my account. Once I logged in, it prompted me to switch to the US site. Doing so, the listing for Touch of Evil vanishes. The only way to see it again is to switch to UK region and GBP currency.

It should still be possible to order the disc from the UK site and ship to the US. I've done that before when necessary.

I put Touch of Evil in my cart right now and it prompts me to go through the checkout process without any warnings about the disc not being deliverable to the US. I'm not going to complete checkout, as I already own the disc. But in theory it should work.

For anyone reading all this with concern, know that despite these web site issues, Zavvi is a reputable and reliable retailer. I've successfully ordered from them many times in the past (using both the UK and US sites) without issue.

I think the root of the problem here is that, because this title is licensed to another label in North America, Zavvi is not allowed to advertise it for sale on their US storefront. But there shouldn't be anything prohibiting them from selling it out of the UK storefront and shipping it wherever you want.

As I said earlier, I believe both storefronts ship out of the same distribution centers regardless. The only difference is what currency you pay in.

Touch of Evil is £12.99 GBP, which Google tells me should convert to $17.03 USD at current rates.

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Yeah the US site is scrubbed of this title but no the UK site. Thanks for the lead. Better price than Amazon UK. I have seen the open matte version since the days of the laserdisc so that was of course only the theatrical version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fadilale
Recent bookmarks