TOTO 25th ANNIVERSITY

Discussion in 'Music' started by Danny Eccleston, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Danny Eccleston

absolutly stunning sound and visuals! without a doubt one of the cleanest live dvd's I have ever seen.
    Even if your one of the luddites who think Africa,roseanna and hold the line are all toto are about, You still should by or rent this DVD.
    DTS ANAMORPHIC AWESOME

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I can't wait to get this.

People really need to get past their work on "Toto IV" and check out underrated albums like "Fahreheit" or "The Seventh One". Much harder rocking and features great guest performances from Miles Davis, Jon Anderson (of Yes), and Linda Ronstadt.

3. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I have this DVD but haven't had a chance to view it yet. I'm so glad to see Bobby Kimball there. (I haven't followed them closely in recent years so didn't know what's going on there.) I did see Toto as an opening act years ago and was disappointed when Kimball left. Great voice.

4. Danny Eccleston

I've watched this baby 3 times already its so pure no ovedubs great music, from a band with great skill at playing, writing and entertaining. Just goes to show all who change there musical tastes to suit the public opinion( Americans fickle fans)they recorded it in a packed out show in Amsterdam. the fickle fan comment EG: buddy hits 23 starts selling real estate buys a camary sells his Ozzy cd's and starts listening to smooth jazz? so typical.
    Big in everywhere but at home.
    Keep rocking TOTO!

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Toto is comprised of some of the best studio musicians in the world. They were basically the band behind Michael Jackson's "Thiller", but get no respect at all, from their former label Sony or radio, when their own albums are released. May not be the most origianl, but great musicianship.

I've read on Toto guitarist Steve Lukather's website (currently it is down but will come back online 10/10/03) that members of Toto has accumulated about 16 or so Grammy nominations within the last 10 years. He himself won a Grammy couple of years back for an instrumental album with Larry Carlton. Just released a X'mas album, Santamental. Where else can you find one album with Sammy Davis Jr., Slash, Steve Vai, and Eddie Van Halen?

6. Danny Eccleston

bump

7. Danny Eccleston

I am very suprised none of the audiophiles on here have said much about toto they are sonicly ome of the best bands on earth and the new DVD is a fine example if there ability

8. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    no way! Toto has a DTS live DVD? That's it, I'm getting it.

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Danny,

I think most people, even audiophiles, only knows of Toto from their "Toto IV" album. How many times have that album been released in an "audiophile format"? There was the Mobile Fidelity CD, the Sony Mastersound gold CD, audiophile vinyl, and of course, SACD. Their other albums simply get overlooked.

Check out "James Newton Howard & Friends", originally on the Sheffield Labs label, now available on XRCD24 CD from FIM. Features most of Toto's members as the backing band.

10. charles white

charles white Second Unit

the "Hydra" album was one of the first SACDs released by Sony.

11. Danny Eccleston

Hydra is out on SACD where have I been?
    St george and the dragon is a great tune Lukather was on a big Brian May trip on that Album (can you still say album?)

12. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

OK, finally located the DVD locally. I guess Toto was too "alternative" for Best Buy or Borders.

These guys just rocks. Great picture quality and sound. The cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" was unbelievaly good. Toto at the bowling alley in Japan was quite funny too.

13. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

I just watched this one yesterday. Definitely one of the best produced live concert DVDs I've seen. The behind the scenes extras were cool too. Since this was filmed with HD cameras I wonder if it may show up on HDNet inf the future? That would be nice. The DVD looks nice regardless.

I also have not followed Toto very closely since the very early days (Hydra), until I saw them live last year at the House Of Blues in New Orleans. They were awesome! The whole band is tight, but Lukather is an amazing guitarist! One of my favs. Stevie Vai was actually in the audience at this show as he played the following night. I returned to see Vai, & what do you know Lukather was in attendance for the Vai show.

Todd

14. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Do they play anything from their score to Dune(1984)?

Thanks,
    Kyle[​IMG]

15. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

They do just a bit of the Dune theme.

Todd

16. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I have been listening to this for about a week now and these guys are remarkable musicians. Two complaints though. I thought "Rosanna" was a little week. This is there signature song and I thought it could have used a little more "umph". More importantly is the ommission of "99". This is my favorite Toto tune. A few notes at the beginning of one of the medly's was just a big tease. I needed more! Oh well, maybe next time. Over-all it's right up there with Two Against Nature by Steely Dan. Gene

17. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Personally, I was hoping for more songs from the "Fahreheit" and "The Seventh One" albums. Those albums contain some great tunes. But I read that Lukather has a problem with Patrick Williams (the then Toto lead vocalist and son of composer John Williams).

18. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

I read that toto was coming out with another DVD for their music videos from 1977 to 1990. Can anyone confirm this ?
    Thanks
    Troy

19. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

this concert's been shown in HDTV on INHD btw[no 5.1 though]

20. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim