What's new

Totems, Axioms, Aperions (1 Viewer)

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering speakers from these companies – especially Totem (dreamcatcher, books) -- but they are the only ones I won’t be able to hear. Could any satisfied users (or critics) of these vendors provide any additional info on how they sound, their defining characteristics? In comparison to each other, if possible. I listen mostly to classical and jazz, supplemented by home theater applications.

Brook

Agent
I own a pair of Axiom M3ti's, the VP100 center, and the QS2's. I was very surprised when I heard them! Although I don't know what your price range is.(mine wasn't much) I've heard that all of Axioms Tower speakers are great for the price.
I've never heard any of the other speakers, but I would definitely recommend Axiom!:emoji_thumbsup:

Ben Jordan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
I have the Axiom M50ti fronts, and they are terrific! Highly recommend. Blends well with my SVS sub. My next purchase will be a VP100 or 150 center, then QS4 or QS8 surrounds.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Anyone know where to listen to the Totem's in the Florida area? I've emailed them twice and have never heard back. Kinda disappointing.

Aaron

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff and Aaron,
I took some time for me to get through to Totem as well but eventually they got back to me with a list of local dealers. I've auditioned the dreamcatchers twice now both for HT and music...and to put it bluntly they are amazing! Not to mention beautiful. I was say the dream's strongest charactoristic is the accoracy. No colouration whatsover. Some say they are bright but I found them to be accurate to my liking. They do need a good 80-100 hous break in for them to really perform. Almost every dealer who carried the line and didn't said they were awesome. far above even more expensive packages. Don't let the small sub fool you either..its great as well and very fast. Agreed, its not going to knock the breathe out of you but it will surprisingly fill an average size room.
I;'ve auditoned the Axiom set up with the M3, VP150 and QS8 and the EP350...defintely a bigger sound, and really nice, but I prefered the looks of the totem.

Juan M

Stunt Coordinator
John,

What was being used to amplify the Dreamcatchers when you auditioned them? I noticed the mains are a 4 ohm load.

I'm interested in these, as well, because of the price, but it would probably be paired with a budget receiver ~$500. Would this kind of amplification be enough? I wonder if any of the following could drive these speakers sufficiently?

Yamaha 5560
Denon 1603/1803
Oknyo 600
Marantz 5200
H/K 225/320

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
It was being driven by a Marantz 6200, but I asked about the 5200 with it and they said it would be fine. I was concerned about the 4ohms as well, but from everyone I spoke to it didn't seem to concern them. One other dealer reccomended thee Onkyo SR500 with them or the Denon 1602 which aren't huge power sources either. I've decided to go with the Sherwood Newcastle R-756.
www.sherwoodusa.com

Ian Garton

Grip
Juan, according to this post, you may want to avoid using the Harman Kardon amps to drive the Dreamcatchers.
I listened to them with the HK 320 and thought they sounded too thin.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I have not heard any speakers by Axiom or Aperion, but I use a pair of Totem Arro floorstanding speakers in my main stereo system ($1100 retail), and they are wonderful. They have a very small footprint, but they are incredibly detailed, and they image like no speaker I have ever heard at the price point. Based on my experience, I can't recommend Totem highly enough.

Here is something anecdotal regarding Totem, but it is an experience I can relate. I have had dealers that don't sell Totem products give them very high praise. That's not bad when you consider the typical dealer mentality and the fact that Totem isn't the biggest speaker manufacturer out there.

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
Thats what I've found as well Keith, except for one guy who said the Kef 2005 sub/satellite system would blow away the Totems!! So auditioned them...not even close to the Totems in quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks