What's new

totems arros (and soliquys) (1 Viewer)

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
My quest for new speakers led me to a date with the Totem arros the other night, and boy was I impressed.

These little dinky towers -- sort of like jumbo shrimp -- had terrific detail and dispersion. Even when I walked behind the speakers, it seemed as it they were directed straight toward me. Moving around the room was no problem. In that sense, a good speaker for those who aren't always nailed to the sweet spot.

Along with wide dispersion, the speakers placed the instruments well, and some in particular, like piano, sounded lusciously liquid.

Granted, the 4 1/2 inch woofers require backup by a sub, but the Arro's still put out more than decent bass. Pretty amazing stuff for $1100.

However, the speakers are at the top of my price range and probably surpass it once the back surrounds and center are added. I'm trying to stay under $2500.

In a related matter, anyone here buy from Audioshop in Canada? The exchange rate puts the Totems at about $820 compared to the $1100 U.S. list price. I figure shipping would cost around $100, but do Visa companies charge much for currency exchange (US to loonies)? Audioshop has a lot of stuff I am looking at, including the new Dahlquist line.

Another speaker that impressed me was the lowest Soliquy floorstanding model. Wow. Tremendous dispersion and soundstage, super dynamic, tight and powerful base. If you have good recordings and separate components, it puts you literally in the arena or jazz club. At least that was my first impression.

I was listening to the PSB Image 4T, which sounded perfectly nice and meets the lower end of my budget, but the Soliquys immediately made me think: what can I do to afford those?

Win the lottery, I guess. It would cost $3000 or $4000 to build a Soliquy surround system. Oh, well. After we remodel the kitchen ...

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Jeff while I haven't purchased anything from Audioshop they have a stellar reputation and Marc's been very helpfull to me when ever I've emailed him about something. The reason the Totems are cheaper from them is that Totem is a Canadian brand so we get a price break...same goes for PSB, Energy, Mirage, Paradigm etc.

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
try goodwins high end. (Link Removed) - i think. They seem to be a great bunch of guys and have Arrows on the floor. I think their price was well below $1,100. You may want to check them out. they're in Waltham, MA

Joe Wilmore

Stunt Coordinator
You should look at AAD Speakers as well. Less expensive and made by the same company as Soliquy

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I could be wrong but I don't think Marc will ship Totems. I believe Totem has the same sort of arrangements with retailers as Paradigm. I've spoken to Mark about Totems as well and he is a great guy and knows what he is talking about. But, I've been able to get Totem prices here in Toronto atleast a couple of hundred cheaper than audioshop. Contact me and I can give you some details, or atleast try to answer your questions.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I was thinking the same thing as John. Will Audioshop ship Totem products to the US? Audioshop is on the up and up, so if a manufacturer doesn't permit shipment to the US, they won't do it. They used to ship Energy speakers to the US but stopped when they found out that Energy didn't allow it.

I use the Totem Arro in my main stereo system with no subwoofer. For amplification, I have an NAD C 370 integrated amp biamped with an NAD C 270 power amp. The Arro is a wonderful speaker. It is truly amazing for the price. As for the need for a sub, that's a personal preference. The Arro certainly isn't bass-heavy, but I am happy with it on its own.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I just went to Audioshop's home page, and there is no disclaimer on the Totem page regarding shipping restrictions. There is such a disclaimer posted on the Energy page. So, maybe Audioshop will ship Totem speakers to the US. Very cool.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, well then I would not expect Audioshop to ship Totem products to the US. Audioshop is a legitimate dealer, so I would not expect them to go against Totem's policy, if Totem indeed has one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.