What's new

Totem vs Axiom Speakers (1 Viewer)

Manuel:R

Auditioning
Hi,

This is my first post. I have found the information on this forum very valuable so far.

I have recently purchased the NAD 752 A/V receiver and I am now deciding on a speaker setup.

Has anyone heard both the Totem's Dreamcatcher home theatre setup and Axiom's Epic Grand Master setup. How does one compare with the other. For a 20x12x8 room and 60/40 Music vs. HT which one would you recommend.

Thanks!

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
I can only speak to the Totems as I haven't heard the Axioms. I was blown away by the big sound of those little 5" X 7" boxes. I would get the matching sub, as I understand it integrates well (higher crossover?) with the Dreamcatcher sats...

Keith*D

Agent
I would lean towards the Axioms from what I hear, but if you talk about stepping up to any of the other Totem's, then I would say Totem.

Keith

Jason.Soko

Stunt Coordinator
I know everyone loves the Axioms around here, but the Totem line is definitely far superior to Axiom. They also cost A LOT more. For the price the Axioms are great speakers though.

Yes I have heard both, a friend personally owns the Axiom line and I've heard the Dreamcatcher in a showroom.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
yeah you can't even compare totems to axioms, totems are like dynaudios on steriods....they are on a different planet from axiom

Auditioning
For a room size of 20x12x8 (60/40 Music vs. HT) do you think I will get enough sound from the Totem Dreamcatcher setup. I do not crank-up the volume to painful levels; however, I do like a clean and full sound.

Also, how well does the Totem dreamcatcher setup handle music.

Manny

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Manuel,
Considering what you are going to power them with, No I don't think you will have an issue cranking it up(if you want). If anything the subwoofer will be a wee bit weak but it will be servicable until you upgrade(or maybe you won't). Since you are a music first kind of person it seems, You'll probably be happy with the Totem subwoofer.

Auditioning
Hi Khoa,

I would love to listen to both of them side by side. The problem is that Axiom being an internet company I cannot do this.

I live in Montreal, does anyone know were I can here Axiom speakers in Montreal? Totem is a company from Montreal therefore listening to there speakers is not a problem.

Sure I can order the Axiom speakers and return them after 30 days if I prefer another set of speakers; however, I would like avoid this hassle as much as possible. So I would like to get as many opinions as possible before making a move one way or the other.

Manny.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
just listen to the totems...i doubt you'll need to listen to the axiom...like i've said they are out of totem's league...

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Have you visited the Axiom forum or called Axiom? There maybe Axiom owners in your area that will have you over for an audition.

Eric.Stef

Auditioning
Manuel,

There are a few brick and mortar stores in ON, NS, and SK that carry Axioms. I am not aware of any dealers in Quebec.

I have to agree with the previous posts that for musical detail the Totems are a much better speaker. I think the only advantage Axiom would have is in the playing very loud category or for creating a lot of bass (for Home Theater go with Axiom, for 2 channel music go with the Totems). When I was searching for speakers, I auditioned Energy C7s Axiom M80's and M60's Paradigm Studio 40’s, PSBs Image 5’s, Totem Arro’s and Meadowlark Hotrod Kestrels. All sounded very good. However I enjoyed the sound of the Meadowlarks the most

If you want a musical speaker that images like crazy, and you narrowed your search down to Axiom or Totem and are not a bass fanatic, stick with the Totems. I would urge you to give a listen to Meadowlark and PSB speakers.

Because of some silly rule preventing new members from posting links on this site I was unable to post a link listing all Axiom Canadian Dealers. If you want the link send me a email

Eric

Keith*D

Agent
Eric - Even for 2-channel music you are recommending the Dreamcatcher? I would take ANY Totem speaker above the Dreamcatcher over even the Axiom M80, but I can't imagine the Dreamcatcher bookshelves blending as well with a sub as the M22, which is what he is comparing. Now if he throws the Mani-2, Model One or Arro into the mix then it would be a different story.

Keith

The dreamcatchers perform well with both music and movies.... IMO, buying them would be a great start to go with your NAD.... Upgrading to 7.1, you can always buy a pair of HAWKS, or FORESTS, they would blend in nicely, and really smoke anything Axiom makes (although axiom makes some good speakers, they truely are outclassed by anything Totem makes).
Taylor

Auditioning
Thanks guys!

I am leaning towards the Axiom set-up because I feel I will be getting more for my hard earned money. To step up from the Dreamcatcher to a better Totem speaker setup would, I am afraid, take me over my budget.

Love those Totems though...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks