Totem Acoustic vs. B&W LCR

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich X, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

I have been looking for new center channel and main speakers for my system. Unfortunately, the cabinet that they need to go into to meet WAF standards requires a horizontally configured speaker. I could use bookshelf speakers on their sides for the L/R mains but am concerned about the imaging that I would get.

I have looked into several LCR type speakers and two that could fit in my cabinet and are in my price range are the Mite-T-C from Totem Acoustic and the LCR 60 s3 from B&W. (I could fit the bigger B&W LCR 600 s3 into the center of the cabinet but not the sides). I have decent electronics to power these speakers (Anthem AVM20 and MCA5 amp). Any Advice?

2. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

I remember someone commenting on the horizontal placement of speakers a while ago. The thought was that this placement changes the dispersion pattern from vertical to horizontal (or vice versa, I forget) based on their intended orientation. Long story short, it wasn't recommended.

I would suspect that this is one of the dfferences between the
    Mite-T and the Mite-T Center.

As for putting them in the cabinet, my novice brain tells me that may not be so good either. If they are ported (can't tell from the site) then having them in the cabinet will affect the sound. Also, I suspect having them in the cabinet will prevent you from placing them a bit in front of the TV. In this case, the TV screen would act as a large front baffle and also have an effect on imaging.

The Totems (and the B&Ws for that matter) are attractive pieces. The Totems are quite petite from what I remember and have a gorgeous finish. How come you have to tuck them away in a cabinet? Just curious.

I'm no expert, just repeating what little I remember. Others will undoubtedly chime in with more detailed information. You do have some solid electronics already. I'm jealous!

3. Jason P. Brett

I've got an LCR60 for a center channel. I use the 603s3 for front R/L. B&W recommends that you use the LCR600 with the 603s, but the 60 keeps up just fine. I would certainly recommend this speaker for L/C/R applications, and even surrounds if you like direct radiating speakers in the back. Incidentally, the LCR60 is a 2-1/2 way speaker, meaning that one of the kevlar drivers handles midrange and bass, the other just bass. Although the dispersion will definitely change based on whether it's horizontally or vertically oriented, this design minimizes some of the wierd lobing effects that you get from a regular 2 way woofer-tweeter-woofer center channel. Also bear in mind that these speakers are rear-ported, but do come with foam plugs for the ports. You will lose some bass in the deal, but probably not enough to worry about if you plan or running them "small."

Jason

4. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Man the Totem mite T center channel kick ass. I got mine for 200 with a bunch of chips and sratches, but I don't care how it looks.

5. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

Christian,
    What you are describing (the shift from horizontal to vertical dispersion) is my concern. I have tried laying bookshelf speakers (B&W602, Totem Rokk, Revel M20, Aerial 5) on their sides and the stereo image seems to collapse and get very narrow. This is not so pronounced with the Revel's and Aerials, but they are a bit beyond what I want to spend right now (Plus the center channels that match these go for around $1500.

As for my cabinet, the center channel will be exposed so I would like an attractive piece for that position. The L/R mains are hidden behind speaker cloth.

I am glad to hear that some people have had good experience with the Mite-T-C and the B&W LCR 60. As Jason said, the B&W is ported, but does come with a plug for cabinet placement. The Totem is a sealed enclosure. I'll be using a sub so the very low bass can be carried by that. The one concern that I have with the Totem (and somewhat with the B&W for that matter is their ability to fill my room (20x15 with 17' sloped ceiling.)

6. DeanChat

DeanChat Auditioning

Just a quick correction. The Mite-T and Mite-TC are rear ported speakers.

-Dean