Totally Green About Sep.Amps: Is This A Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Simpson, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Okay gang, I'm surely going to need some advice here. Been condsidering a new receiver lately (currently quite pleased with my Yammie 795A) mainly for DPLII; thought I'd go with the new 1200 or 2200 (I like Yamaha [​IMG] ), but the prices here in Canada are somewhat steep (before any of our friends in the USA suggest various e-tailers, I've ruled that out due to brokerage fees, warranty and service issues, blah, blah, blah...I'll be making a purchase from a local B&M dealer). The prices are steep enough that I figure I oughtta grow up and step into separates, one piece at a time. To that end, a dealer in Toronto is advertising all their Adcom gear "at cost", so they say. I'm interested, therefore, in the Adcom GFA-7500, a five channel, THX-cert. amp. Power is rated at [email protected] ohms, [email protected] ohms (not exactly double the 8ohm figure, is it? [​IMG] ) Let me be clear: I'm drawn to this unit simply because of the price ($1500 CDN, just under a grand in Eagle bucks, BTW), and if I were to buy it, I'd consider it a happy fluke. I'd continue using the 795A as a pre-pro for the time being (no hurry for DPLII), so if the Adcom/Yammie combo isn't favourable, no biggie; I could live for a while with that config. Also, my speakers are currently PSB Image 4T, 8C, and 3LR (surround); these too, will likely be upgraded at some point (considering Axiom M60 or M80).
    Can anyone offer some opinion on the Adcom unit, or point out flaws in my thinking? I can take it, guys! Also, are there any other brands/models of 5-channel amps at this price I ought to know about (not too interested in any used gear)?
    One last thing: the small print in the ad says "items subject to prior sale". Is that "dealer-ese" for units that have been returned to the store's stock for any given reason?
    Thanks for any consideration or advice you may offer. Cheers!
    DS.

2. Rich G

Rich G Stunt Coordinator

That sounds like a good deal for a new piece of equipment. I think used they are only a couple hundred less.

One question I have is why do you want to upgrade the receiver? Power, features?

There are many other amps to consider but I don't know if you will get that type of deal. Outlaw's amp is in the range too.

Another consideration is sub. That kind of money could buy a SVS+

All in all, if you want to get into seperates this is a good starting point.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Adcom makes some nice amps and the price seems good for the power. Audioshop in Ottawa was selling a much of Adcom stuff off as well so you might want to see what they are priced at first.

4. Serge Breton

Serge Breton Supporting Actor

Dave,

Audioshop lists this amp for $2400 so $1500 seems like a good deal.

Please send me an email with the link and phone # to this dealers website/store. I'm in the market for an Adcom 2 channel amp, looking real hard too! I would appreciate it.

5. mark lilley

mark lilley Auditioning

Dave I saw that ad too and was thinking exactly the same thing. I have an rxv-800 running paradigm studio 40's and Titans. Do you think you'll get a big improvement in sound quality if you still use the Yamaha as a pre/pro? I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this already. If you decide to buy let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Mark

6. JoeDeM

JoeDeM Stunt Coordinator

Joe
    Dave, this sounds like a return or trade-in, but it's a great deal, my buddy picked one up a couple of months ago for $2200. you should ask them if they will take your Yamaha as a trade in and get a separate pre-amp/processor, or try and sell your Yamaha, you'll be much happier.

My buddy tried, using his old receiver, and eventually went out and got the pre-amp/processor.

Good luck

7. KevinGS

KevinGS Stunt Coordinator

Dave/Mark

Would you mind telling me what store your talking about?

I would like to up my power to my front 3 speakers.

thx

8. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Thanks for the input thus far, fellas!
    Kevin and Serge, the store is Kromer Radio on Bathurst. A copy of the newspaper ad can be found here.
    Rich, there's no pressing need to upgrade at this time. I thought simply that I'll evetually upgrade my current receiver for greater power and more features; figured seperates were a good idea once the receiver cost was approaching about $1500 CDN.

9. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Hey guys, one more thing: what sort of cabling is required to connect my current receiver to this amp? Is it simply five RCA cables? Do I need to blow the bank on designer cables? Hoo boy, pardon my ignorance...Cheers!

DS.