Totally amazing, until

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulDF, Nov 1, 2002.

1. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Last night I got a chance to watch (or should I say "listen to") LOTR without having to worry about waking up the house since I was the only one home... Wow. Totally amazing. It seemed I kept turning my sub down but it only got louder! Until the mountain crumbling scene and I heard a scary noise from my 360L 16hz Tempest. It was a rapid noise, almost like a huge gear slipping... I thought maybe it was the wall, so I slid the sub outward, and replayed it. It is definitely the driver. I am powering it with a 100W/ch receiver, so there is probably no protection for below 16hz tones. Do you think I am hearing clipping, or is the sub bottoming? The SPLs were around 120db at the time [​IMG] .

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I'd probably say clipping. Just tone it down a little. (Then again, a second sub may help. [​IMG])

3. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

At that SPL I would have to say that your amp is most likely going into clipping. You said it was a receiver, is it a cheap one? If it is then that would also point in the same direction.

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

My 2 tempest subs bottomed out for the first time at the LOTR "mushrooms" scene. They're powered by 250w each with plate amps and the volume was 5 decibels above reference in an 8x10x11 room.

It went "braaaaaaa vromp vomp vomp vomp " kind of like a very slow fluttering noise that was very brief, the same when you take a 250w tempest and try to reach 120db with a 20hz test tone.

It sort of dissapointed me but I ain't gonna upgrade simply because LOTR will probably bottom out a lot of subs on the market when 6db hot. hehe

5. Jeremy Hopkins

I would have to agree with Scott. I have clipped my crappy Technics int. amp many times drving a friends two 15" (from some old Pinoeer speakers). With only a 100watt reciver I wouldn't doubt you were clipping them...plus don't the tempests have a fairly high power rating; ie a lot higher than 100watts?

Cheers,

Jeremy

6. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Bryan Z, don't get me going.... I consider myself fortunate to have built this Tempest at all. It is truly awesome. Two would be on the verge of insane![​IMG]
    And Scott, yeah, its a kinda cheap receiver. 6 year old Pioneer. But it has served me well as I start my neverending lust for better sound. So would it be better to turn down the receiver volume and turn up the sub out volume? Or vice versa?
    Jeremy, what kind of setup are these 15's in? I have two old 15" Pion drivers but they have very limited excursion.

7. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    Do you have each voice coil driven by it's own amp channel? If not, that's going to be the best way to get the most out of the receiver.

8. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Yes, each coil on its own channel. I'm hoping to buy the proper plate amp in the next few months. Gotta replace my TV first, but wondering if the Tempest had anything to do with the death of my TV? How far away should it be?

9. Jeremy Hopkins

The Pioneer drivers are from the HPM 150 if memory serves me. They werre in a ported enclosure, I can't remember the dimensions. They don't have insane amounts of movement, a tempest is more, but they sound good and tight.

As for distance from the tv....any closer than 2 feet is pushing it with that size magnet. If you see and distortion or discolorization you are way too close. Move it till it stops then move it some more just in case.

Jeremy

10. Nathan Bower

Nathan Bower Extra

Have you considered "bridging" the amplifier?

If it has a true 100 for each channel I think you could do this. I have never done it myself but heres my idea on what to do.

Actually its more of a guess.

for the posative lead of one voice coil wire to the posative of your recievers (say) front right terminal.

Next invert the poarity of the signal lead (just reverse the wires in the RCA cable ?) and plug this into your HT amps Rear left input. Wire the +ive from the rear left output onto the -ive of the voicecoil. Wire the two remaining wires from the amp together.

Now this is verrry long shot guessy from me, so get someone to correct me before you try this, because the above method is almost certainly wrong!

GL

N

11. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Jeremy: Do you mean 2 feet from the edge of the magnet to the side of the TV? It is probably close to that now. The bright colors seem to make it flash and even go black & white, and roll. We were expecting the TV to die soon anyway, but I wondered what effect the sub might have had on it. So it is the magnetism that affects the TV? I had thought it would be the vibration impact. Hmm. Its pretty easy to slide the sub out, I'll try it, even though it weighs 200 lbs or so!

Nathan: I am not exactly following you here. Which receiver? (Processor or sub amp). Are you meaning to bridge the front channels to the rear? For 400 watts? (That is the total output...) Please help me out a little more here.

Thanks guys!

12. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

I don't think that it is generally advised to bridge an amp unless it specifically says that you can in the owner's manual.

I doubt that the Pioneer amp you're using to power the sub is "bridgable." Even if it was, I'm not sure that you could get much more out of it. Since you've got one channel going to each coil, I think that is optimal for the setup you've got right now.

JKS

13. Jeremy Hopkins

I screwed over my old computer monitor with speaker magnets. I was so excited when I got the box that I plopped it right down in fron of my monitor. Then after cutting some of the tape I realized my whole screen was green...this is a bad thing. It took a long time for the color and distortion to go away from it. Most monitors have a degaussing button now. For general TVs I think you have to get a repairman to do the degaussing.
    My best advice would be to move the sub away from the TV so there is not effects. This should keep it from hurting anything.
    Now I only wish I had a sub...and the space to put it....[​IMG]
    Jeremy

14. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

I moved the sub, and it made no difference to the TV. Still blinked with bright lighted scenes. What are the usual effects of an unshielded speaker too close to a tube TV??

15. Jeremy Hopkins

I think the same thing happend to a friends TV....it was just dieing....If you are planning to buy a new TV then just stick it out....BTW what type of TV is it?

16. Ryan Solberg

Ryan Solberg Auditioning

not sure if this would work for a tv, but it works for monitors from what i hear..... When you accidentally get a magnet too close to a tv and get the wierd colors.... get a monitor... set it as close to the tv as you can... and then do the degause action a few times.... with computer monitors this is supposed to work.... i think degause is just a magnetic field itself.... not sure tho.... anyway, the degause function is supposed to bleed over from the 1 monitor to the other.

just an idea.

17. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Its a Sanyo, so no big deal. And I seem to remember a similar incident with it a few years back. I think it was the power supply... But I'd hate to buy a nice new set and have it ruined by my own lack of knowledge. I'd honestly never thought of my new sub as "unshielded". So If I get a new TV, 2 feet is the minimum? I'd like to know for sure about this! Would there be any effect on an RPTV?

18. Jeremy Hopkins

I think its probably the same as my friends tv....and thats the same problem hes having...
    I would say nothing less than two feet....you might be able to find some more and better info out on the net or if someone else with a little more experience could pipe in about it.
    just my 50cents.....damn I'm expensive [​IMG]