What's new

Total “Serious TV” Newbee (1 Viewer)

wally

Second Unit
Considering I currently watch an 8-year-old 27” RCA, my planned move to a Sony KDF-55WF655 is becoming a bit daunting. My wife has fallen love with this set (I know, major accomplishment), but I feel like I have a case of pre-buyers remorse.

I’ve been trying to read up on reviews/technology and I’m a bit confused. At the same time I’ll be adding a new receiver, upgrading to HD satellite, and new speakers, and a new DVD player. What’s got me most worried is the video connections. The TV has two sets of component inputs and an HDMI port. Looks like the Dish Network HD Receiver has a DVI out. Also how to connect the DVD player, HDMI? Or do I not worry and connect everything through the Denon 2105 that’s on the list. It up converts everything to component video?

Thanks in advance.

John S

Senior HTF Member
A DVI / HDMI switcher should allow you more DVI / HDMI devices if you so choose.

Component Video really does handle HD and DVD just fine as well.

wally

Second Unit
Thanks John.

I'm guessing I need to invest in one of the calibrating DVDs as well. Isn't one of the Video Essentials? Is one better than the others?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I don't use either. I just use the THX Optimizer on some discs. If that's not good enough for some, I tell them to go get professional calibration. Which I don't even know if I want to be able to do. leave that to the calibrationists. Both VE and AVIA are better for sure.

But the THX Optimizer gets it close enough for me.

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Be warned, if you're using an HDMI to DVI or vice versa make sure you use the cable that's the same as the output. Conduct the conversion on the input of the device. I know it sounds like a forgettable little tidbit but it suddenly becomes important when you're wondering why oh why doesn't this DVD player or digital receiver work on my TV?

It happened to me. An hdmi output on my receiver to a DVI input on my TV. I happened to have a cheap DVI cable I intended to use and HDMI cables were way pricey. So, I used an HDMI to DVI converter on the back of the receiver. Well, it didn't work and I did a lot of troubleshooting, I replaced everything BUT the 50" TV that was a giant paperweight for the days it took me to resolve this. NOthing is more frustrating when you just spent $3K for video bliss.

Long story well... a little longer... My TV shop was a nice bunch of folks who let me take home an HDMI cable and adapter just on a hunch. I am thankful I bought from a small TV shop rather than a big warehouse where I would have probably waited a lot longer before proper testing would be possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks