1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Total Recall: SE packaging is horrible!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig_T, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

I saw the Total Recall: SE on display yesterday at a store. Man is it ever awful! They somehow managed to make it nonfunctional and butt ugly at the same time. It's round(!) and sits in a little holder like you're displaying a priceless plate. The "plate" however looks like some sort of cheapo plastic Happy Meal frisbee that was thrown into a fire.
    Normally I don't really care about this sort of thing, but this "surface of Mars" packaging is just so stupid and cheesy-looking. I really hope Artisan makes it availiable in a normal keepcase, because I'm really having reservations about picking this one up now, especially with all the other discs I want this fall. I haven't seen the Basic Instinct: SE packaging yet. You'll probably have to spread apart the legs of a Sharon Stone doll to get that disc out...

2. Matt Wooten

Matt Wooten Second Unit

[​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

Well ... if it won't fit on my DVD rack, I won't be getting it.

4. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

5. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    If you follow this thread, you'll find a great big screen shot of the casing. Also, I end up comparing the case to a baboon's red ass. It's good for a laugh as everyone chimes in...
    ...at last: TOTAL RECALL-SE....

6. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

What? You don't like the babboon's ass case? May a horde of 1000 monkeys descend on you for saying that!
    ------------------
    -Jeff Cooper
    "Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

7. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Total Recall:SE will available in a keepcase shortly after the release date with the tin. They are limiting production to 100,000 units, I think (like Basic Instinct and Akira) and then they will be all keepcase going forward. This from an Artisan mailer sent to dealers last month : )
    Matt
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

8. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

Looks like I'll be waiting for the non limited edition of this. The case is ugly.
    ------------------
    Joe Dahlen
    "Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

10. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Craig, that is damn near the funniest thing I have read on the HTF. Thank you.
    C. Ryan [​IMG]

11. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I too will not be buying this abomination of disc packaging. Hopefully the keep case version comes out quickly, so we won't have to wait for the "surface of mars" case to sell out.
    J

12. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Give me a break..anyone who wouldnt buy a movie because of the packaging has a serious problem with their priorities. I mean, I can sorta understanding complaining about lack of features, or DTS, or a directors cut or something, but not buying a movie because you dont like the case? Thats sick.
    I hate Snappers, but it wont stop me from buying Warner and New Line discs. Im sure I wont like the Total Recall packaging either when it comes out, but if it bothers me THAT much, I'll just make my own insert and put it into one of the AOL DVD cases I have lying around.

13. Antonio_M

Antonio_M Stunt Coordinator

I agree it's kind of whack not to buy a movie based on packaging, but this Total Recall case is HORRIBLE!!!!
    I am hoping "Limited Edition" is based on packaging and not pressings. [​IMG]

14. TimSniffin

TimSniffin Stunt Coordinator

15. Antonio_M

Antonio_M Stunt Coordinator

16. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

I'm very concerned that so many of you are experts on baboon hineys.......
    -Tom

17. GerardC

GerardC Agent

18. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Really Gerard? I Am Weasel myself. [​IMG]
    I can't say I'm that keen on the Total Recall box, but the Basic Instinct one looks nice. At least they are trying something different; I like strange boxes. Nothing compares to the great work of Spiritualized though - the glowing box for 'Pure Phase' and the pill packet for 'Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space' are the best boxes I've ever seen.

19. Don Myles

Don Myles Stunt Coordinator

Oh dear - we need to drum up 100,000 customers before we can get this in a keep case - this may take a while!!
    I really wanted this DVD but held off because I had concerns about the packaging - glad I did now.
    Anybody know where I can see a large scan of the Basic Instinct Unrated SE - held off on that one for the same reason. Is it going to be the same with a limited run of 100,000 followed by a version in a keep case?
    Don

20. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I'll bet that in a few years, you'll be able to fetch a very tidy sum for these 'ugly' cases on ebay!