Total Recall SE and Basic Instinct SE - can be purchased now, IF YOU ARE LUCKY!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg S, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Check out one of the Large Retail Stores in your area and you may get lucky. This is out a full week early in my area (or at least where I went).
    Checking out TR now will let you know what I think.
    Oh yeah the TR tin/package is cheap as all and really sucks!!
    Please someone do some cover art for this ASAP!!
    Thanks
    GOOD LUCK!!!
    Greg

2. Derek U

Derek U Stunt Coordinator

Greg,
    People get kind of defensive about this matter, so I just wanted to be the one to let you know. Stores aren't allowed to sell discs before the street dates, and if they are found out, there will be trouble and it will likely never happen again. I too would be excited if I got a DVD one week early, but the best thing to do in such cases is to keep it quiet.
    Not confrantationally (I know it isn't a word),
    Derek

3. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Understood, which is exactly why I never mentioned the store and never will.
    I simply stated its one of the Big Retail stores (which I can think of at least 5 stores that could be right off the bat).
    Thank you for the advice though. If forum members decide they would rather see this disappear than I will oblige and change it.
    Greg

4. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

I've had Total Recall SE for about two weeks now...love it when those LARGE retail stores break street dates, especially by weeks ahead of time!

5. Ernest_T

Ernest_T Extra

I bought Total Recall SE two weeks ago. Noticed that Basic Instinct SE (with miniature ice-pick) was on sale at about the same time but did not pick this one up. A lot of titles are available in stores weeks before the scheduled street dates in Hong Kong; this is one of the reasons why now I seldom order my DVDs from online retailers unless for titles that are not available here.

6. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Guys,
    Let's refrain from posting the store names........
    This just ruins it for others....
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
    Send Email: [email protected]

7. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

8. BrandonG

BrandonG Agent

Well I can tell you that working for one of the largest electronics retailer in the US, that trying to stop Wal-Mart from breaking street date is a lost cause. I have reported them several times in the past, but the same store continues to break street dates. Basically they have almost 4000 stores and they just get a slap on the hand. Do you think a company is going to hold their movies back several days after release from 4000 stores? I don't think so.

9. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I believe the stores don't handle re-releases as well regarding release dates. Total Recall & Basic Instinct have been available for years, and if some stock boy sees a box full of them, he'll put them out. If it was a new titles like Mummy Returns or such, it probably wouldn't happen.
    That said, I get annoyed by posts that include only "I found the disc early!" and nothing else. Certainly, if someone were to get the disc early, watch the disc, and post his thoughts initially, I would not mind, it would be treated just like the reviewers who get their copies early. If it means anything, I also get annoyed by the "When is [brand new movie in theaters] going to be released on DVD?" threads.

10. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Based on Critic's choice which is selling both Spec Edit., the ice pick is not a real ice pick, but a ball point pen that looks like an ice pick.

11. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Unfortunately, the stores in this area do not have Basic Instinct: SE on the shelves yet.

12. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

I was surprised to see the Total Recall and Basic Instinct SEs on sale last week. Stores in my area rarely, if ever, break street dates, so I just thought they were scheduled to be released and I had forgot about it. The Total Recall SE doesn't look as atrocious as the pictures on the web made it look, but I'd still prefer a keep case to the weird metal tin.
    As for stores being punished for breaking street dates: it's not likely to be a factor in the Wal-Marts and Targets of the world. No studio in their right mind would dare risk their relationship with the retailers that provide the largest chunk of their sales.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Columbia House - we were built to irritate America - one person at a time!" [​IMG]

13. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Hey guys....how much have you seen Basic Instinct: SE going for in these stores? Please let me know so I can cancel my pre-order if necessary. Thanks.

14. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Well, since this seems like a good place to discuss these DVDs now, people are going to be PISSED about the packaging.
    This is not to say that I am. It is awkward, there are plenty of ways they could have done things better, but on the other hand they are at least trying to give the discs a unique feel, an SE feel.
    The ice-pick is just a plastic pen. The disc sits in a circular holding spot with a circular sponge and booklet. Very much like the Prince Batman tin, except that for Instinct the circle holder is part of a full plastic case similar to a keep although not like a keep either.
    Recall will really have people angry, not so much because of the circle tin but because of the cheap cardboard holder. Seems like if they could have somehow done something a little bit like Instinct, a plastic holder for the inner circle or something, then it would be much better. Heck, if they had just made the cardboard part out of plastic instead it would have been 5 times better.
    I like the idea of a round Mars tin, but I would also like to have some durability. There are many here who are much less apprecitive of the effort than me and will hate these.

15. Tom J. Davis

Tom J. Davis Second Unit

Count me as one that hates the Total Recall thin cardboard holder. I'll be looking for cover art and replacing this with a keepcase for sure.
    On the other hand the movie sounded very good and the picture quality was above average. I've seen better and I've seen much worse. As one reviewer on the internet said, the second half of the movie definitely looks better than the first.

16. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

I've been working on replacement cover art for Total Recall. If anyone could supply me with a scan (or just a typed list of all of the verbage) of the back of the tin I could get this thing done and out there for you all to have. I've been looking around here but unfortunately I haven't been able to find it. Guess I'm one of the unlucky ones.
    -EJ
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    my HT site

17. Mike Russell

Mike Russell Agent

Just picked up Total Recall and An American Werewolf in London SE. Tried scanning the discs at the customer price info machine. American werewolf wasn't even in the computer yet. Machine came back with "unknown". Basic Instinct SE was not on the shelves yet.
    [Edited last by Mike Russell on September 14, 2001 at 01:34 AM]

18. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I second the Total Recall packaging. The tin case took me a couple times opening and closing it before I could get it open without the disc flying out. The foam can't be good for the disc, as it came with a few marks on it as a result (I now have the booklet under the disc). Luckily the disc survived and is still in great condition (only one close call for the disc flying out).
    Artisan, save consumers trouble and go back to standard and proven packaging. Hell, even a snapper case would be preferable.
    Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel will be finally getting time to check out more of the movie and the suppliments.
    ------------------
    My DVD's
    If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

19. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

You lucky dog. [​IMG] Kudos on not mentioning the store.
    ------------------
    -Dwayne
    "And vidi films I would."

20. Adrian Ballard

Adrian Ballard Auditioning

Well I went looking for the Basic Instinct Unrated version but all I could find was the rated one. However, I did manage to snag a copy of Heathers (the new release - due on 9-25). I saw 3 of the 6 different covers: JD, Winnona's character and the lead Heather (sorry, I can't remember their names right now).
    No Limited Edition tin was in stock but I had decided against it anyway. I picked the JD cover.
    And it was purchased at a B&M store.....
    Me so happy...