Total Recall : Director's Cut

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_MacD, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

During the Total Recall:SE commentary, Verhoeven frequently mentions his being forced to edit his movie for an R rating. My question is, is there a version on DVD(or VHS or laserdisc) where I can see his uncensored, and almost certainly unrated version of Total Recall? Criterion pieced together Robocop for his X-rated cut, but has someone done the same for Total Recall?

2. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

No, Scott. There has never been a director's cut of Total Recall. With so many DVDs getting re-releases, I wouldn't rule the possibility of another version being available.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

If Robocop Criterion Edition (which was a Verhoeven Director's Cut) is any indication, the cuts he had to make were mostly "hamburger" footage - i.e. blood, guts, and gore. I think he added less than a minute back into that movie and it was mostly of that guy getting creamed by ED-209. Basic Instinct uncut was just more sex and violence as well.

I'm not sure Verhoeven's cut scenes make as much difference as, say, Terry Gilliam's cuts in Brazil or Luc Besson's cuts in the U.S. version of Leon: The Professional.

4. Christina_V

Christina_V Guest

Well the uncensored footage would have a much more powerful impact,than say the
    toned down censored version!
    Why do some people frown over uncensored versions.When they are the versions the director wanted to release,but was forced to cut with either minor or major harm done to the scenes??
    The uncut Robocop is awsome & really packs a punch.....the cut scenes in the R rated version lack that punch! same thing with Basic Instinct.

5. Carlo Medina

Well Christina, one person's treasure is another person's trash. I won't begrudge Verhoeven his DCs. They just don't add much to me, like the Gilliam/Besson and even Cameron (in Aliens and Abyss) DCs do.
    I for one, found the gratuitious violence to be...redundant. If they made a greater impact on you, then that's fine. But for me, they didn't do anything to drive home the point that the regular footage didn't. Mr Kenny is already chopped liver on the regular cut, and the extended it just shows 5 seconds of his body on the table just getting further riddled with bullets (which don't seem to hit any other part of the boardroom [​IMG] ). For me that was just overkill.
    And just because they are DCs doesn't mean we can't like/dislike them as we choose!

6. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

Tom, thanks for doing my homework for me. [​IMG]
    Carlo - The ED209 footage turned something relatively horrific into hilariously slick over-the-top black comedy.
    While I can appreciate your feelings over the substance of Verhoeven's director's cuts, it doesn't change the fact that it was censored. And using Cameron, Besson and Gilliam as examples to the contrary doesn't work, because[*]Cameron felt it was neccessary to trim his film to around 2 hours.
    [*]Gilliam was forced to edit his movie for time by the studio. (I don't have the Criterion boxset, so I don't know the full details.)
    [*]And Besson stated that the Version Integrale was his gift to the fans, and stated that the original version was the movie that he wanted to make. (I think this quote was on the sleeve of the foreign laserdisc, I'll confirm it from a friend.)[/list]Anyway, I guess the simple fact is, I want to see the uncensored Total Recall. (and I'm sure other fans do too.) No chance of that right now, though.

7. Carlo Medina

Scott,

I always thought Verhoeven was going for the "over the top" stuff all along? Even seeing the new DC didn't do anything to change my mind (and I hadn't seen the original since it came out in the theaters).

Like I said, Verhoeven has every right to do what he likes on his movie. But for me, the stuff he put back in for B.I. and Robocop didn't do much to change/alter my perception of the movie. It's not even about length of time. For example, Lucas changing it so that Greedo shoots first (which takes about 1.5 seconds) changed that movie and character (Han) immeasurably more than the hamburger footage that Verhoeven put in to Robocop.

Again, for me, and maybe me only, but this is how I feel.

8. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

The studio also wanted Brazil to have a happy ending so that the audiance would leave with a positive feeling and spread the word rather than leave bummed out (or confused in this case), which is often the studio's fear of "downer" endings.

Gilliam made it hard himself by making trouble with the running time, but the studio did more than just shorten the film as they also tried to "fix" it.

One thing about cuts though which makes it a sticky business: film is a collaborative effort and placing all credit/responsibility on the director is not truly accurate. Often a director's "look" is as much a part of the fact that he works with the same team (DoP, Editor, FX people) as it is his own style. The final product also shows the effects of financial and business constraints.

So while there is interest in seeing director's cuts I think each case has to be weighed on it's own rather than having a sweeping statement that the director's vision is all there is.

After all, what about the actor's vision, the screenwriter's, the DoP's, the producer's, the composer's...? There work is also being represented on-screen and it might not always run in synch with the director's.

So I agree that the PV cuts of his films are DIFFERENT films and that the effect may be great or small based upon the viewer's preferences, but I also think it's hard to say that HIS version is the "true" version since he approves it now, mainly considering that he signed off on the other one as well.

In fact, Gilliam is more the exception than the rule in these matters primarily because it was so heavily altered against his immediate wishes, rather than his collaborative effort to pare it down only to later regret it.

9. Jeff Brickhouse

Scott,

A director's cut does exist on VHS released some 3 years back. I contemplated buying it at the time due to the new technology of DVD coming out and passed on it. Should have shelled out the $13 at TOWER local, oh well.

Disclaimer: I'm only throwing this out here on memory of three years ago, so take with a grain of salt.

I "think" that the dc of TR was somewhere about 2 to 3 minutes longer. Not positive, mind you, just presuming.

I'm now kicking myself in the arse for not snagging it. Now I'll never know what was in the cut footage. Hopefully, it will be revisited and restored to it's original vision. Not a grand epic film, but does have great action.

Father...the Sleeper has awaken!

10. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

11. Christina_V

Christina_V Guest

I remember a director's cut being released on LD & was on ebay a couple times. No mention of whats added though or running time.
    I think i'll have to search for it & see for myself.....i'm sure it's just a uncensored version,but hey i'm all for uncensored versions...so if you don't like it,then don't bother.
    I'm sure some pretty wild over the top stuff was toned down somewhat in the R version,which is still a violent/bloody movie....but thats what people also said about Robocop!
    Hopefully it will be re-release on dvd sometime & what about Starship Troopers? I heard another editions coming out, it better be the uncut version then!