What's new

Total Newbie Sonosub Q's (1 Viewer)

FredC

Grip
I've been reading up on sonosubs through the links here, and am seriously considering building one. I would just like some advice on what driver to get. I'm going to be replacing a 10 inch JBL sub that the amp went bad on, so I am thinking 12 inch should be ok, and probably the PE 250 watt amp. This is all very preliminary as I most likely will need to wait a few months to start. I would like to keep total cost under $400 and looked at the DVC on PE's site, and am aware of the Adire shiva? but am just looking for any other ideas, pro's and cons.
I have a Yamaha RX-V1300 and primarily use the sytem for DVD's.

Thanks

Fred

Fred,
I would recommend the Tempest from Adire Audio. It's $150 and you will be hard pressed to find any complaints about it around here. I just built a 260L vented tempest sonosub paired with the PE 250 watt plate amp. All I can say is WOW! Your only talking about $280 plus enclosure costs, which could be kept under $120, keeping you under $400. Thats just my $.02 send me an email if you want the full specs on my sono. Good Luck and have fun!

Dave
[email protected]

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
You're on the right track. With the Adire drivers you can rest assured that the white paper alignments will sound great. But honestly, the DVC would probably work fine in those alignments as well. I picked the one that was cheapest at the time. Parts Express is always running Ebay auctions and very frequently has the DVC up. They set the reserve below their normal price so theres a chance you could get a deal on a DVC.

PE has tremendous customer support and technical staff. I highly recommend them. Adire is likely very similar but I don't know from experience.

The Stryke AV drivers are all the rage right now since they just came out. If you can still get the pre-order price they're a huge bargain. But if not, they're a big (percentage wise) step up in price from the Shiva/DVC. You might also consider the Dayton Titanic Mk2 from parts express. Its kind of a middle ground between the Shiva/DVC and the AV12.

FredC

Grip
Thanks for the tips. Does anyone have any reviews of the Stryke AV-12? It seems like they are very new, and I haven't seen any reviews around. It looks like the pre-order price is still available, and would be about $10 cheaper than the Tempest, but the Tempest is 15 inches right? I'm not locked on a 12 inch driver, but I just want to be sure I keep things straight. The 350 watt Rythmik amp has also caught my attention, but I'm not sure I need the extra power? Thanks,

Fred

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
You'll appreciate the extra power if you opt for a Titanic Mk2 or Stryke AV12. But you don't need more than 250 watts to get near the limits of the Shiva, DVC or Tempest with a "typical" ported enclosure.

BTW, parts express also carries a 15 inch version of the DVC driver that is essentially the Tempest's fraternal twin.

FredC

Grip
Now that the Stryke AV-12 and 15 are going through another pre-order, I am thinking that I should but one of them for my sonosub. I will most likely be moving soon so don't have any idea on room dimensions or anything. Anyone have suggestions on which driver to get? Thanks

Fred

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I have a Tempest and a Shiva. The Tempest is head and shoulders above the Shiva in all aspects. Looking at the numbers for the AV15 it appears to outperform the Tempest. If you can still get one for $165 it should be a no-brainer. I run my HT in a 16x24x8.5 room. My HT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks