Total Newbie Here. Bee Gees One Night Only has 2 versions: Dolby 5.1 OR DTS/Dol 5.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by VincentY, Jan 4, 2003.

1. VincentY

VincentY Stunt Coordinator

i'm a total HT newbie, though i've been a longtime 2 ch audiophile. i'm getting my first HT system during the next week or two, so i'm getting some "software" in anticipation.
    i saw 2 versions of the Bee Gees One Night Only dvds at dvdplanet.
    Version 1: dolby 5.1 ONLY
    Version 2: it says that it is dolby 5.1 AND DTS 5.1
    i don't understand. can the second version have BOTH dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1? which is superior, dolby 5.1 or DTS 5.1?
    in any case, which one of those two dvds should i get? is "more" better in this case? that is, the choice of either dolby OR DTS in Version 2 is superior? or is there some arcane reason why the Version 1 with only dolby 5.1 is superior?
    my direct email is: eieio@nyc.rr.com
    many thanks.

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Go with the version with the DTS soundtrack. You will spark debate on which format is better, but for me (usually) the DTS track is either somewhat better to spectacularly superior, and is the only one with a 7 channel discrete format (more software is coming out that way).

What equipment are you getting? I'd definitely advise something that can decode DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 and Dolby Digital EX soundtracks; and if you're going for a little more trendy stuff, DTS 96/24 decoding too (just to be on the safe side since we don't know what will be the soundtrack of choice for high definition blue laser discs).

Another video that is a MUST HAVE is the 4 or 5 disc set of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Director's Cut) with its wonderful DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 remix.

An old tyme DVD favorite of mine is The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over full bitrate DTS 5.1 music concert. Really, really great surround audio for a live performance. One of the best out there so far.

Dan

3. VincentY

VincentY Stunt Coordinator

Dan,

does that mean the version that "says" it has BOTH dolby 5.1 AND DTS 5.1 really has both? you mean if i were to buy that dvd, i'll get a choice and be able to CHOOSE which of the two i get to listen to?

i am still waiting for my equipment, which is due to start arriving next week.