Total Movie & Entertainment magazine out - rushed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James D S, Oct 4, 2001.

1. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

After a couple of months hiatus, Total Movie is back on the shelves.
    After breezing through the issue (a bit light on the actual content, plenty of space-consuming pictures and fluff), I didn't have a chance to read the larger articles, just did a quick fly-by over all of them.
    My memory seems a bit fuzzy on one note - was this publication always so fraught with errors? Seems, that despite the layoff, the magazine didn't go through a decent editor.
    I'm sure I'll find more errors as I read the mag, but even in my quick run-trhough I found several.
    1. During the Princess Bride DVD review, the reviewer claims that, "Monty Pythoner Terry Jones' speech-impaired bishop is still quoted at weddings everywhere." That's not Terry Jones, it's Peter Cook! (pg. 87)
    2. In the Beastie Boys Video Anthology disc(s) review, it is falsely reported that the set contains, "all of the Brooklyn rap trio's video clips." Nope. None of the 'old-school' videos (off of Liscense to Ill) were included - even the award winning "You've Gotta Fight For Your Right (To Party)." (pg.92)
    3. In the "Slipped Discs" section - were TM&E gives their list of movies most wanted on DVD - they include The Right Stuff. That movie has been on DVD for quite a while now! (pg.66)
    4. And during the Hellbound: Hellraiser II disc review, a feature is mentioned that is just plain confusing. "...5.1 Dobly Digital sound with the option to optimize THX." ? What in the world does that mean? (pg.88)
    I'm sure there are more, but I wouldn't expect errors as big as these in a magazine that's had such a long to prep and one that was so highly anticipated.
    It doesn't look good for Mike Stokes' first turn at the helm...
    For fans of the previous incarnation, there's a lot of similarity in content and style. I doubt you'll be dissappointed.
    [Edited last by James D S on October 04, 2001 at 04:02 PM]

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Gawd, that sounds like a Columbia House catalog! I don't have much expectations for the DVDs either (IF they ever come out!) as the quality of the past Inside DVD discs was laughably bad- in fact Versitile Media One has produced a few discs for Madacy!

3. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

4. Jim Bivins

Jim Bivins Stunt Coordinator

Is the current issue without the DVD? I've been to 2 seperate retailers, and both have the magazines without the disc's...I must have missed some news somewhere!
    Jim
    [​IMG]

5. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Were any of the 'facts' true, say, four months ago? Because that's about when they'd have been written, on a standard publication cycle.

6. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Shayne: Nope, lead time doesn't factor in at all. Only one of the errors James cited is time-sensitive at all, and The Right Stuff has been out on DVD for over 4 years, according to Image Entertainment and a few other sites I checked.
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site
    [Edited last by Adam Tyner on October 04, 2001 at 09:32 PM]

7. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

8. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

"...5.1 Dobly Digital sound with the option to optimize THX." ? What in the world does that mean? (pg.88)
    However, the way you wrote it (taken directly from the magazine I suspect) this would lead the reader to believe that those couple thousand dollars you need to spend to become THX certified is now available to John Q. dvdbuyer via one DVD. That's laughable and if you are quoting the magazine, they really need to change... everything.
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

9. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'm glad I decided not to subscribe. I'll just wait for a dvd mag with actual merit...
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

10. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Brad,
    I pretty sure sure I know what they mean, but they wrote it like they had no idea what they were righting about. Shame shame.
    I've sent away for the disc (it's a bummer it wasn't included like before), I'm curious to see how InsideDVD turns out.

11. Robert Hutchison

Has anyone received their magazine via subscription in the mail? Is the DVD included with it or do you also have to mail in the card to get it?