Total Movie and 40 DVD flicks for your collection???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Strang, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

What kind of DVD's are these? Anyone have any ideas? Are they some of those Madacy titles? Are they anything worthwhile?
    I might resubscribe.
    Also before anyone chews me out for not using the search function, I tried and it was non-functional due to high loads.
    ------------------
    We are the citizens of the United States of America. Resistance is futile. We CANNOT be stopped so don't bother trying.

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

3. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

This is somewhat strange. I subscribe to the magazine about a month ago directly from their website and they are claiming the same thing. however, I still have not yet received anything.
    I smell something really fishy going on here!

4. JakeR

JakeR Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone gotten their DVDs yet? Has a new issue even hit the stands? If not, what's fishy about it? Was a specific date promised?
    Here's the list of films, obtained via a posting in the alt.video.dvd newsgroup. 40 films on 20 discs.
    Africa Screams
    Assassin Of Youth
    Attack Of Giant Leeches
    Battleship Potemkin
    Beast From Haunted Cave
    Beat The Devil
    Black Fist
    Boy In The Plastic Bubble
    Bucket Of Blood
    Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
    Carnival Of Souls
    Detour
    DOA
    Dementia
    Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
    Fantastic Planet
    The General
    God Told Me
    Hiroshima Mon Amour
    His Girl Friday
    Hunchback Of Notre Dame
    I Bury The Living
    Angel & The Bad Man
    Jamaica Inn
    Killer Shrews
    Legend of Bigfoot
    Little Shop Of Horrors
    Meet John Doe
    Invisible Ghost
    Nosferatu
    One Eyed Jacks
    Pajama Game
    Reefer Madness
    Revolt Of The Zombies
    The Stranger
    Suddenly
    Corpse Vanishes
    Wasp Woman
    Dressed To Kill
    My Favorite Brunette
    A bunch of cheeseball b-movies from the '50s and '60s, basically. Is anyone really interested in these? It seems odd to offer up a mediocre package of movies (that can't possibly be in very good shape) in order to entice people who, by their demographic nature, are nitpicky about audio and video presentations.
    At this point in time, I have the desire to only add films which hold a particular interest for me, and I'm weaning myself off of buying discs "just because." Quite frankly, I'd subscribe to TM if they promised *not* to send me this box of tripe.
    Now, if all of them came MSTied...

5. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

Do you only get the forty movies if you subscribe or will they be packed in at the news stand? What's their site address? I can't get enough b crap from the 50s and 60s.
    jeremy

6. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I think I'll pass on this offer. If the movies came in their original cases, I'd consider subscribing as I could always sell the ones I don't want (most of them, actually) and recoup my subcription fee.
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

7. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Has anyone received a notice from Total Movie about your previous subscription? I have e-mailed them about the fact I did not receive my issue from last year but with no reply from TM yet.
    Wes

8. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

There are some really good films there, but they are all public domain so you can bet they are going to be THE CHEAPEST DVDs they can get their hands on.
    I'll pass.

9. David Susilo

What so fishy? Their first issue should be an October issue which usually hits newsstand about a couple of weeks prior to. However, there is no newsstand in Toronto that I know of that carries that magazine nor have I received anything (not even confirmation e-mail that I'm supposed to get) with regards to the subscription. It's already billed on my credit card though.
    As far as the URL goes, I can't remember, unfortunately.

10. Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory Stunt Coordinator

That's a damn tempting list of titles, including several classic movies. I wonder who they are partnering with to produce these titles? The version of Little Shop.. that appeared with one issue of "Inside DVD" looked awful.

11. David Susilo

I'm just hoping that I will get the DVDs. That's all I'm asking for now. As long as they are not worse than VHS quality, then it's okay for me. I'll consider them as VHS rental (Cdn$70 for 40 movies is not bad at all).

12. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

From what I read on the website the deal is for US residents only.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

13. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

Well, the silent stuff is pretty cool (Nosferatu, Caligari, Battleship Potemkin) so why not? And you get a free magazine subscription!
    So does anyone know if these have packaging? I had the same idea of selling off the ones I don't like (hey, I know I could unload them at $5 a pop and pay not only for the subscription, but a couple of REAL dvd purchases).

14. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

US Residents only?
    Geez, that's convenient.
    I subscribed for the original Total Movie publication before it went under. I never received my refund, and attempts to contact the company were like pissing in the wind.
    I expect that my subscription will carry over to this new publication.
    If not, I expect that many of us here (in similar situations) will band together and make our voices heard against Total Movie. Maybe then they'll hear us.
    Moe.

15. David Susilo

There was no mention about US Residents only when I signed up. It used to state that the offer valid for US and Canadian residents only. However, when I went to the website again (just now), it only states that the offer valid for US Residents only.
    WTF?

16. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

If the quality of certain titles was very good, I might think about subscribing.
    I'm really interested in:
    • Battleship Potemkin
    • Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
    • Nosferatu
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

17. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

18. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

Now I'm confused- 40 movies on 20 discs? Are these different edition than the ones already out there? A few of the titles already exist as double features (Wasp Woman/ Attack of the Giant Leeches, Corpse Vanishes/ Invisible Ghost, Carnival of Souls/ Dementia 13 ---plus a couple others) but most of the other ones do not...

19. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

I just saw the new issue of Total Movie on the newsstands.
    There is NO DVD included in the issue...just a subscriber card which you are supposed to mail off to recieve your free DVD.
    I'm passing on it....
    ------------------
    DVDBeaver & My DVD Collection

20. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Bill, I saw the same thing...TM on the newsstand with no enclosed DVD, just the card to mail off to get the disc. Later. If they remember. [​IMG]
    Price $4.99; that was next to a higher price ($9.99 I think) that was crossed out via a "strikethrough" font. I guess they're trying to tell us what a bargain it is.
    I will pass, too. Also, I sent an e-mail the other day asking about the remainder of my original subscription, since I never got a refund (I asked for it, too). No reply yet, but if I get one I'll let y'all know.
    By the way, after I got what I was at the bookstore for, and headed to the cashwrap, I saw a teen acting like he was about to rip the reply card out of the mag. He saw me stare at him and put it back. Funny, though...this can't be more secure than enclosing the disc; the card has to be easier to rip off than the disc in shrinkwrap. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
    Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
    Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
    http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm