What's new

Total HDMI dropouts - FOX DISCS? (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Hi all,

Last week with Notorious, and last night with The Wrestler, there was a total loss of HDMI signal, which only a removal of cable solved.

VERY embarassing for me, and VERY FRUSTRATING for wife, with guests over.

Using Panasonic BD 55 firmware 1.8 to Yamaha RXV-3900 out to Panasonic AE2000.

Pulling out ethernet cable was a temporary fix, ejecting SD card as well.
Also happened when scanning through ME, MYSELF & IRENE (another Fox disc).

Now there have been momentary dropouts on other discs (didn't note which studios they were).

Will leave ethernet unplugged.

Q: Is this a BD-LIVE issue, or this extra BD+ security that Fox employs that is the culprit?

Hard to convince others to get into Blu-ray when these unacceptable issues happen mid-stream randomly in a movie, projecting at 185" and reference levels.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I agree that what happened to you sucks, and that Blu-ray, over a year after winning "the war" is doing a poor job of consolidating its gains. A year out, and PS3 seems to be the only really reliable player under $500. I am on my third player in a month (2 Pioneers and now a Panasonic).

That being said, I think you need to provide more info. How long have you had the player? How many discs were you able to watch before these "dropouts" occurred? Were they rentals? Did you clean them? Did you try replacing the HDMI cable with another?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Player since January.
Average 2 discs a week.
New discs, clean rentals as I run the store!
Haven't swapped the cable yet.
Running THE SIMPSONS MOVIE (Fox), and no problems so far, with ethernet off, and SD card off.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I reviewed both THE WRESTLER and NOTORIOUS and had no problems with the video/audio. I was using a PS3 for purposes of the review, however, if that might make a difference. None of the other Fox discs I've reviewed this week (THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY, TAKEN, S. DARKO) exhibited any problems on the PS3 either.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yumbo, the only players I know of that had documented issues with Fox discs were the Pioneer P51's and 05's. Pioneer had to recall certain units that would no play Fox discs at all. My first Blu-ray player, a Pioneer P51FD was in the affected group, and had to be returned. It was apparently a problem with the BD + copy protection on Fox discs. They would not play at all, and my TV screen displayed a red screen (now known as the Red Screen of Death) with a warning that my firmware was not up to date (but it was up to date). After returning a second Pioneer player that suffered from other bugs, I bought the Panasonic BD60 that I have now. So far, i have not had any issues, but that does not mean I won't.

The only time I had an issue with what you call HDMI dropouts, was with my DISH receiver. I would have the screen go black, and my Onkyo receiver would display a "no signal" message. It was determined that the HDMI port on the DISH unit was dead, so the DISH unit was replaced. You could try: 1.) a different HDMI cble. 2.) a different HDMI port (if you have one) and 3.) connecting via component to see if the problem still occurs. If it does, it will be a player issue or a disc issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks