What's new

Total Cost for Tempest Sub? (1 Viewer)

Zachery-C

Grip
Hi! I am trying to find out the total cost for a Tempest Ported Sub. I'm 16 and am trying to make this for my room (about 12ft x 12ft, wood floors) As you can tell, at 16, I don't have a ton of money. I am trying to get my parents to match the $150 i'll pay, so that will be about $300 total.
Here are my figures:
$150 Tempest Shipped from acoustic-visions.
$109 Parts Express 240watt Sub AMP No. 300-804
$10 Parts Express 4in Port Flared 268-352
+ MDF board
Am I missing anything?
I was wondering. If you look at the AMP at parts express website, it is mono 240 watts for 4ohm, 170w for 8ohm. I noticed that the tempest is DVC 8 ohm. Would that mean that I can only power 1 coil with 170 watts? That sounds weak. Would a PE 15in DVC 4ohm sub work better? Lastly, is there a better amp for under $120? Thanks - Zack

Seth_L

Screenwriter
The Tempest has dual 8 ohm voice coils so you can wire them in parallel to get a 4 ohm load so you can get 240 wats from your amp.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
You're missing input terminals, internal wire, damping material, caulking, misc screws, grill cloth, glue, feet/spikes.

KyleGS

Second Unit
If you go sealed you may be able to get away under $300.
I would do 4cf with 3-4lbs of stuffing. If you go large ported you may need more than 1 sheet of mdf. (plus a port or two)

The stuffing is cheap at wal-mart.
Screws and cheap binding post @ PE for around 2-3 bux for both.
You can build feet from mdf (if downfiring) and you will not need a grill.
One tube of liq. nails or wood glue and your set.
That amp is great for the Tempest for the money.
Now to finish the box will put you over your budget...paint,etc.

Zachery-C

Grip
I have the internal wire, cauk, screws, glue, and feet. I dont think I will need input terminals since the amp will be built into the sub box. I'm doing the EBS alignment, used for music.
How much is MDF? Since the EBS alignment is so popular, how many boards/sheets of MDF will I need?
Thanks - Zack

Zachery-C

Grip
Kyle GS, you posted right as i posted mine... I have read a lot of the sealed ideas, but it seems like that if I go sealed, there will not be NEAR as much output, thump, and power unlike a ported or PR. I have currently a Klipsch R-KSW 8n 50watt sub, and it doesn't give much bass. Will this tempest sub, even in the sealed version, be a world of a difference?

Max F

Second Unit
I imagine that either a sealed or ported Tempest would absolutely destroy your current sub. :D

Your a pretty smart kid for only 16. :emoji_thumbsup: Good luck with your sub. BTW, if your interested in low frequency response (for movies) go with the ported. People tend to like a sealed if they listen to alot of music. Either one would kick much a$s.

Zachery-C

Grip
Great! I homeschool and go to Wake Technical College so, maybe that contributes. So, if I go sealed... Can i later add a port to get some of the benifits of a ported sub, or will I have to buy and make an all new box?

Eduardo

Agent
Hi Zach,

Sounds like a fun project. I made a ported SonoTube sub using Adire's 12" Shiva for my 20' x 17' Bonus room. It puts out a lot of bass. Which means a sealed Temptest will be fine for your room.

I live in the Raleigh area so let me know if you need any help.

Eduardo

Zachery-C

Grip
Ah, you live in raleigh too! Nice to know.. Well, it will probably be about a month or so before I start. When I start..i'll post my progress. Thanks everyone.

JurgenV

Grip
Zachery, you may want to check out this thread from one year ago. Coincidentally, it was started by another of our younger DIYers, actually, the same age as you, and his room dimensions are identical to yours. A lot of useful info in that thread that you may find helpful in your project.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
I made a sealed tempest sub for about $350. And yes, either one will rock you like a hurricane. I went mid-q sealed in an apartment that the listening area opens up into a kitchen, hall, and dining area... lots of space to fill with sound, and the Tempest does it well.
I had to buy an entire 4x8 foot sheet of mdf to get all the panels and braces I needed (left-overs tho). Remember to buy a closed cell foam to seal the amp and speaker, I used the sticky foam used to seal a truck cap to it's bed. Works like a charm. I have many pictues of my construction if you're interested.

Have fun with the project.

And watch out for the mdf dust as you cut. It's really powdery, I wore a mask.

Brent_S

Second Unit
Tools?

For MDF, my Home Depot carries 2'x4'x.75" MDF panels for roughly $3-4 each if I remember correctly. Just pulled up the Tempest EBS drawing, looks like no cutting required if your local HD carries the same panels. Throw in a couple of panels to handle bracing and end caps...out the door for $20 or so.

You could shave another $10 by going with the 200 watt Cerwin-Vega amp at ApexJR. You give up 40 watts (less than 1db of output), but it looks like it has a crossover bypass input that the PE amp doesn't.

The PE site says the 268-352 ports are $13.90 each. And you need two of them for the EBS design.

wbs

BenFrance

Auditioning
Also Adire Audio has been out of stock on the Tempest for quite some time now as well as every distributor that I have checked.

I had a box planned out for this sub and have since decided to go with the Ascendant Audio Atlas 15. Its not a DVC per se but it has been said that it is a direct drop in replacement for the Tempest.

Supposedly Adire is going to get out of the Home Theater market and concentrate on car audio. Which explains why they have been out of the Shivas and Tempests for about 2 months now.

The Atlas 15 and Dayton 15 have been suggested as replacements for the Tempest. So unless you have a source that you know for certain has the Tempest don't get too far into your planning stages.

Ben

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
This is false information.

Adire is a partner in CAC, a new loudspeaker manufacturing company in Chile. Production of many of Adire's speakers is being moved from the their original supplier to CAC. As a result there is a lag since the CAC production facility isn't fully operational.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks