What's new

Total Axess - DIVX part 2? (1 Viewer)

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
I've just been reading about Universal's plans to ruin the Back to the Future and ET DVD's with the "Total Axess" portal.

For anyone who doesn't know about it yet, this is content that is only accessable via a PC, through the DVD-ROM drive. So rather than watching the deleted scenes from Back to the Future on your TV, you need to go buy a PC, hook up a highspeed Internet connection, and then you can watch them on your 17 inch monitor.

From what I've read, you have to register to access the content on the discs. I also know, based on the nature of streaming web video, that the quality will be nowhere near that of DVD (which is a moot point anyway - even if it was DVD quality, you'd still be watching it on a monitor.)

What can be done about this? Has anyone started a petition to have this stopped? Does anyone have an address and phone number for Universal? This has got to stop!

Bob

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
To watch the extras:
  • You have to have a DVD-ROM
  • If you have a Mac...too bad
  • You can only watch them on your small monitor (unless your HTPC is connected to a TV, in which case the quality will look really bad)
  • You need a high-speed internet connection
All those things are pitfalls...but the biggest problem with this "Total Axess" thing is that the extras will not be available to watch for the lifetime of the DVD. I guarantee you that in a few years when you revisit that DVD to watch the extras again, even if you have all the above necessities, you won't be able to download them. They won't be there. You'll be buying a disc with soon-to-be-obsolete extras.
So is that what the studios want? Do they want to be able to take away our extras whenever they want, even after we purchase the disc?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
A-When stuff is moved to a website it's usually a disc space issue

And more importantly

B-They want you to hit their web site so you can see all their other crap

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
This is the message I sent to Universal:

To whom it may concern:

I am writing to voice my displeasure regarding the "Total Axess" special features on the upcoming ET and Back to the Future DVDs. If I understand the press releases correctly, there will be important features (such as deleted scenes and outtakes) that will not be accessible via a standard DVD player.

Back to the Future is one of my favourite films, but I will not buy a special edition where the special materials are not all accessible on the disc. I do not own a DVD-ROM, and I will not be purchasing one.

It is a great disservice to customers like me when you release the special materials in a format that I cannot access.

Bob Barlen

James Reader

Screenwriter
A-When stuff is moved to a website it's usually a disc space issue
'A Beautiful Mind' has content only available through the 'Total Axess' portal. The thing is, the second disc (which contains the extras) is only SINGLE LAYERED!

Plus, on ET they have (potentially, should they choose to offer added content to the 'Ultimate' edition) 3 Discs of content. Are you telling me they can't fit a trailer and deleted scenes on, but can put on fluff featurette like 'Exploring the solar system with E.T.'.

What this really is, is Universal experimenting with Video on Demand. It wouldn't surprise me if they started to charge extra for bonus features in the future, after selling a barebones disc.

I'm sure their 'Holy Grail' is to sell a disc with the code to access a streaming copy of the film.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As it has been since the start, DVD ROM material is generally not added value material, since the overwhelming majority of people will never be able to access it. If they are going to charge for a special edition disc with this type of material, then I expect a discount for not being able to access it, since I don't plan on buying a PC just for this.

Sorry Universal, but you aren't getting a sale from me on any of these titles.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
What a crock!!!! I guess I'll just have to skip these movies from the studios and find them somewhere else. I do not have a high speed connection nor does most of the WORLD! At the current rate I won't have high speed internet for 10 years(this is a realistic estimate). I guess the studios want us to become pirates to get the extra content because if it can be streamed it can be ripped. Everyone knows this but the studios. So I have to get the content illegally in order to get the content. I will not put up with this crap from the studios and refuse on giving a red cent to support it. This is the last straw!!!! Go to he77 Total Axess. :angry: :thumbsdown: :frowning: :angry:
One more thing...if I need to get this DVD I will be buying it illegally or ripping it illegally. When will studios learn that they are just pushing people toward this:angry:

MarkBurton

Second Unit
I am very disappointed to learn that the E.T. deleted scenes will only be available via Cyberdine's Total Exess. I was really looking forward to watching this as I was also looking forward to seeing Back To The Future's behind-the-scenes footage. However, even though I do own a computer with a cable modem, I would rather not watch this bonus material than re-enact Clockwork Orange and have them force on me whatever advertisements they wish.

If the behind-the-scenes footage or the deleted scenes are only available on some website that can be removed at a moments notice, then as far as I'm concerned, this material is not available, despite what is says on the packaging.

- Sam Lowry

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
This is a terrible shame and a horrible direction for the DVD market. Please take the time to contact Universal.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I think that the original idea of Total Axess was a good one. Phantom Menace has a website you can go to to view extras created after the DVD was released. I think that if this feature of online features is used properly, it can be an additional bonus to those who have already purchased a disc.

However, I do not agree with how Universal is using this. They are essentially, using the online route as a substitue to putting existing extras on the disc. Like already mentioned, A Beautiful Minds second disc is a DVD5, if disc space was REALLY an issue, they could have made it a DVD9. I will sign a petition if one gets created.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I sent them a scathing email of protest. I keep saving money all the time when these ignorant studios do this. What kind of marketing firm did they hire? Marketers-R-Us??? Or do they even do this? They do it for the movie to see if the test audience likes it so why wouldn't they take this Total Axess feature and do some market research. They obviously don't know their A$$ from a hole in the ground.D efiantely no sale here.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
if I need to get this DVD I will be buying it illegally or ripping it illegally. When will studios learn that they are just pushing people toward this
I understand the frustration with this Total Axess nonsense - it's absurd that major extras will only be available via the Internet. However, I DON'T comprehend the attitudes reflected above. I love "BTTF" and "ET". I'd get them if they were bare-bones. Am I going to NOT include them in my collection because SOME of their extras won't be disc-based? And an attempt to justify theft because the DVD won't include all the extras you want is simply bizarre...

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I can't condone piracy as an alternative to buying the DVD, but it seems Universal is completely out of touch with the marketplace. First is their packaging of their ultimate editions, which is completely unusable, now its this elitist web access scheme which we all know will be a temporary service which is being advertised as a tangible property. Sorry, but web links are not a value added service - in fact, I think they should drop the retail price by $10 since the disc contains no extras, and anyone who wants to fiddle with the computer can pay for them. We'll see how fast the exras get stuck back on the disc. If they aren't on the disc, why should I pay for them?

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Just to clarify, not ALL the extras are on Total Axe$$ - just a lot of them. (Although, I wouldn't put it past these idiots to put them all out there soon).

If I am paying them for the DVD - they should pay me for having to connect over the Internet to access my "disc features"....and give me a rebate when the features are no longer available.

This whole thing just makes me appreciate the great things FOX does even more...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks