tossing all my jewel cases and sleeves...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ted Lee, May 10, 2005.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey all -

i no longer have room (or really the desire) to keep all my cd's on display on the racks. i have close to a thousand cd's now ... and it's just becoming an eyesore. plus wifey doesn't want them displayed in the new house.

so, i'm thinking about tossing all the jewel cases, storing the sleeves somewhere (in a box or something) and just keeping the cd's themselves in a binder or something.

problem is i can't find any hi-capacity binders. the biggest i can find is around 250 (which i guess really isn't that bad).

so what do you all think? do you have any other ideas or suggestions on how to store my cd's?

thx!

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I tried the binder thing for a while and missed having my booklets and liner notes away from the CDs. But I didn't regreat tossing the jewel cases. So last night I completed transfering everything over to this:

DiscSox

The Pro Sleeves hold the back liner, booklet, and 2 CDs.

I also plan on eventually getting the drawer that holds 1000 CDs/sleeves.

All the sleeves can add up, so I just order 10 packs a month, allowing me time to both slowly transfer everything and spend the money comfortably.

3. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

How about mega-changers?

You can probably get two (on sale) for what 1000 DiscSox will cost.

Tom

4. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

There is also these.

http://www.jewelsleeve.com/

I ordered a sample a few years back, and they're pretty nice. I've considered switching over many times, especially now that I'm just shy of 2000 discs. That combined with my 800 DVDs is pushing me out of my house.

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I moved all my CDs to large (~250 disc) binders a couple of years ago when I moved. I just stuffed the booklet and insert card in the sleeve with each disc. I had to remove some of the pages for it all to fit, but it works fine. Those binders can be found on sale for $20 or so. The portability of it all is great, and it takes up very little space.

The only issue is keeping everything organized and finding specific discs when I want 'em! [​IMG]

6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I have three of Slappa's 360 Pro CD cases and one of their 160 CD cases and am very happy with them. The workmanship is top-notch - much better than anything you'll find at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. - and they're reasonably priced. You can check them out HERE.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx for the ideas so far guys! [​IMG] i like the price of the binders, but i like to keep my cd's alphabetized...so is it a hassle to add new cd's? i know some of the binders allow you to insert more sleeves...which is definitely the way for me to go.

for mike/eric - i like those sleeves, especially the fact that i can keep all the packaging (including the back insert). i assume you're using those custom cases as well. since they have a lid, how do you handle that? are you stacking them or keeping them side-by-side? seems like it could be a hassle if they're stacked...

8. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

I hate sleeves. Not only is it hard to remove the disc without touching the underside, but I find that eventually discs get scratched from the friction when sliding them out.

I use this style CD rack. It fits snugly against the wall and holds a lot of discs.

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I think Slappa has a 600 disk suitcase of a binder.

10. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

I switched to the ~250 binders a few years ago and don't miss those jewel cases at all. I only use them to half of their capacity though as I use 1 spot for the cd and 1 spot for the insert. My wife went to Cost Plus and picked up some nice storage baskets that they fit in so they aren't cluttering up the family room.

11. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

seth, those are what i use right now. good call, but i'm trying to stay away from any sort of wall rack.

13. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Blasphemy! I still have all the longboxes that came with my CDs, back when they were packaged in those!

14. David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein Stunt Coordinator

I moved about 3500 CDs over to Jewelsleeves about 5 years ago and they've worked great.

I would highly recommend them.

15. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

Ha ha longboxes. Every year or so, I see a movie from the late 80s and early 90s with a scene in a music store and the longboxes make me laugh.

I love my jewelboxes. I love those 1200 CDs staring at me from the wall. Wouldn't change a thing.

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Since I'm living in cramped quarters temporarily, the majority of my collection is just in a couple of boxes and going to storage. The stuff I'm keeping will go in one of the custom cases and when I move out, I'll buy one of their custom drawers. The cool thing about the drawers/cases is that you get a flip-file index card type system, so organising and finding everything will be real easy.

17. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Does anyone else think of "tossing salads" every time you look at this thread? [​IMG]

Ted, my friend, along with annoying wife, built an in-wall unit, 3000+ cd's. It has a drop cover, wood. All lame-ass white-wash(annoying wife's suggestion). Very inconspicuis though. I'm sure my friend's wife will have annoying geese painted on it, in no time flat. This man has come to know white-wash, geese and country-floral prints. His balls are gone.

18. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

well i guess i'd rather have someone toss my salad then me toss all my jewel cases...but that's a different thread. :b

19. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Ewwwwwwww....... You do realise you aren't suppose to wipe first? [​IMG] (otherwise its just a rimjob)

20. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

This thread is... it's just so far beyond appropriate at this point that I can't even believe it. The line has been so very crossed.