Toslink to Coax adaptor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lorne Chisholm, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Lorne Chisholm

Lorne Chisholm Auditioning

I'm sure many people have the same problem: the wrong combination of Toslink and Coax digital audio connectors on their A/V receivers. Has anyone had any experience with outboard adaptors? For example, the Radio Shack 42-8561?
    http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Sear...8561&pagenum=0
    I would hope that an adaptor such as this would be totally lossless and transparent. Any comments or alternatives?

2. JohnP

JohnP Auditioning

Yes,
    I use one. It works very well, but I didn't pay $50 for it.
    I bought it from Parts Express for $17.:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....7&WebPage_ID=3
    It looks EXACTLY the same as the Radio Shack one. I plug it into the switched outlet on the back of my receiver so it is only on when I turn the receiver on. My reciever has only a coaxial input for the DVD player, but the player has an optical output. This device did the trick. Very happy with it.

3. Lorne Chisholm

Lorne Chisholm Auditioning

Thanks for the reply, JohnP. I checked out your link, and I can't find that particular item at Parts Express. Is there a brand name and model number on your unit, or do you know of a Parts Express item #?

4. Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar Second Unit

"The 180-960 converts a digital audio signal (coaxial) to an optical signal and the 180-961 will convert optical signal to coaxial." From Parts Express.