Toslink or Digital Coax?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shion_ca, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Shion_ca

Shion_ca Stunt Coordinator

I have the option of either from my Pioneer DVD 440 to HK320. Which is the better way to run digital? How do you guys do it and why?

Regards,
    Shawn

2. Kimo Bonnelycke

Kimo Bonnelycke Stunt Coordinator

Hi Shawn,

In my experience, you will not notice a difference. The real question you should be asking yourself is, do you have other deivces that have only coax, or only optical. Myself, I have switched many times between coax and optical on my dvd player, and I never noticed a difference. I currently use coax, only becuase I have 3 other devices (sat, and 2 cd players) that have only optical, and I only have 3 optical inputs on my reciever. (and 1 coax of course).. Hope this helps.

Kimo Bonnelycke

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  4. Iver

Iver Second Unit

I use optical and I love it.

Seriously, the above posts are correct. Optical and coaxial are two methods of carrying the digital datastream.

Since both carry the same data, anybody who can hear a difference should share what they're smoking with the rest of the class.

One practical tip: some optical cables come with a small, bump-shaped, clear plastic tip. This is a protective cover. Remove it before attempting to insert the optical cable into an optical jack.

5. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Optical, mainly because thats all my RP56 has. Also with Optical you won't get any EMI/RFI, that could happen with coax if not properly sheilded.

Kevin