Toslink Connection

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gary Hunter, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Gary Hunter

Gary Hunter Agent

I have just ordered the Dish811 HD receiver and realize that it only outputs 5.1 via optical connection. My problem is that this makes the third component that only outputs via optical and my processor only accepts 2 optical inputs. Does anyone know if there is a reasonably priced optical switchbox available? Or am I going to have to manually hook/unhook the component I want to play?

thanks.

Gary

2. Gary Hunter

Gary Hunter Agent

3. Darren{Moo}

Darren{Moo} Extra

You should be able to get a coax to toslink (or vice versa) converter for about $30.00 per unit with a power transformer.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The $25.95 converters in the link above are also available from Parts Express for $16.95 each.

-Robert

5. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Parts Express shipping if fairly expensive, even for a small $16.95 item.

Radio Shack has a powered toslink to coax or vice versa connector for $14.95.

6. Christo Ramo

Christo Ramo Stunt Coordinator

Guys, I just bought one made by radio shack. I am not too impressed by it. I was under the impression that it would take all analog signals and make them digital. What is does is enhance dolby prologic signals. Does sound a little more crisp and there a little more seperation. However, I am running it through the coax, but my amp does not see it as a digital connection like when my DVD is on, but there is another digital logo that appears on the screen. I guess I am going to keep - any other experiences with these bad boys?

7. Ray_C

Ray_C Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if the RS convereter works with RF AC3 digital coax (like on laserdisc players), or only regular digital coax?