Toslink cables, cheap or expensive, better or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff L, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Speaking Toslink:::
    Would one notice a better signal with a higher quailty cable?
    Speaking of going from a Dayton Toslink from Part Express, say cheapest the sell 3ft, to a, say Better cables Toslink 3ft. Would there be a better quailty signal period?
    Or would the only noticeable thing more apt to be the connection itself! Meaning a better tighter quailty fit. Your receiver is just getting the light pulses and the quailty of your receiver should have the biggest bearing on sound I would think.
    BUT, could the connection have a bigger bearing on sound than one might think?
    I have allways used the digatal rca connections on my equipment but my neighbor posed this question to me and I really don't know if their would be a difference or not, so I ask what have you that have experimented with this found?
    Thanks Geoff

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i haven't done any comparisons myself, but every review i've read states there's no difference.
    i know others will disagree... [​IMG]
    i have the same (monster brand) optical cable that i've had for about 6 years. i take reasonable care of it, but i wouldn't say i baby the cable. in any case, it's lasted this long.

3. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Well, S&V did a big review a little while back, and they had a hell of time finding differences.

Anyhow, for TOSLink cables, I would look for durability. Those cables aren't very flexible.

4. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

I have a $10 one between my CD player and receiver. Works fine.

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I would think that even durability for Toslink cables wouldn't be an issue! As they all have realtivly the same damage point. Bend to far or tight and ala-caput....
    So I would think that the connection and where the cable meet it's fitting would be the point of biggest relavence. Maybe a better soild connection and a tuffer meeting poit of the cable to the fitting on a more expensve cable.
    I may be wrong as I have never used Toslinks before. And my reason being, tight spots or bending, crushing, kinking is a no no!!!! For those who have the room, a nice loop works great, but my stuff is, lets say cramped and just those issues keep me from even trying.
    Just how tuff are they? Do they break inside the jacket or at the fitting quite easily, or will they take a bit more than a nice easy loose loop lets say?
    Im sure if pinched or bent ^ probley shot for sure, but just how tough or maybe I should say, delicate are they?

6. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

I treat mine really carefully. I think the weak spot is where the cable joins the connector. Lots of room for damage there. My main concern is when I move my components for dusting.