What's new

Toslink Cable (Optical Cable) (1 Viewer)

Kenny C

Agent
Can anyone tell me where, and what brand to get for a Toslink Optical cable ? Looking for 6 Ft or 2 meters.

Thanks

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Best Buy, Acoustic Research, $30. Maybe you'll get lucky, like I did, and find one "open box" for $14. :)

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Outlaw audio sells a 1.8m toslink for $20. I've got one on order as well as 3 of their analog cables. Anyone use them or have any comments?

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Yes, the AR are well made. To be honest though, I've never been able to tell any sound difference in Toslink cables. I imagine they all sound the same.
The Outlaw cables look like a good value too, you should also check those out, Outlaw Audio. $20 for a 1.8M cable is great.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I think the biggest difference to look for is in the construction. It's optical, so if it gets kinked the cable is probably ruined. I've got some optical cables that came with (I think) my DVD player that are like dealing with a thin piece of thread. I ordered a replacement from 800.com (Recoton) which was quite a bit beefier and I suspect less likely to kink.

As far as sound, I've never been able to tell a difference. YMMV.

-Steve

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm using the same optical cable (monster) i bought over 8 years ago. afaik, it's still working perfectly.

regardless of the brand, as long as you take care of it, and don't bend the heck out of it it'll be fine.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I think one thing to look for is a good connector. I purchased two $8 generic cables from partsexpress and the connector just lays inside the receptacle. It doesn't click or fit securely. I have to check them everynow and then because they like to slip out. But the sound is great. I don't know if there would even be a difference in sound between an $8 cable and a $50 cable.

If the Outlaw RCA's I have on order are top notch I'll get their optical cables as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks