What's new

Toshiba X81 to H80 menu changes (1 Viewer)

My old X81 was recently replaced under warranty with a new TW65H80, which is mostly a good thing. However, all of the menu changes are driving me nuts, and I was hoping someone could help me clarify a few things.
1) The X81 had a menu setting for the component inputs for DVD and DTV. This setting no longer exists with the H80, so I assume the set now figures it out (black level, etc. - whatever it changed before) automatically?
2) With the X81 the Theater mode turned off SVM, then you could adjust black level, white level, etc. in the service menu to get Theater mode where it should be. With the H80, Movie mode still turns off SVM from what I can tell, but the service menu parameters (sub-contrast, etc.) seem to have little affect on the picture and there is no service menu parameter for sharpness. Now, it SEEMS that if I first set Movie mode and then adjust the user controls that SVM stays off since I don't see the double-wide black bar on the test pattern, but I'm still not 100% sure of that. Can anybody confirm how this works? Since I just went through a long repair hassle I don't want to take any risks, so I'm not pulling the SVM connectors right now.
While I'm at it, does anyone have a favorite focus adjustment procedure for this set? I'll probably use the wooden block, clamp, and tracing paper setup I found on the Keohi site, but if anyone has a better one then I'll certainly give that a try. :)
- Brian

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
1) Yes, it now auto-detects this. A progressive-scan DVD player should be set to 0 IRE (enhanced) black level.
2) The service mode parameters for TNTC, COLC, etc. seem to be for S-Video only (probably composite too?). The 'Designer' mode in previous sets is no longer available, so there seems to be no easy way to make changes to the default settings for component input.
The effects of SVM are very subtle in this year's sets and sometimes it can be very hard to detect whether it's on or off. The only way to be sure is to pull that wire on the power supply board.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks