What's new

Toshiba Wins Support for HD DVD from 4 Film Studios (1 Viewer)

JackKay

Second Unit
here we go again.

No word on the Studio's releasing pix exclusively to one format. Not surprised Warner (and New Line, being an offspring) going with Toshiba as it keeps royalty money flowing. Disney is going to be an important backer. Another thing is since we know PS2 is going with Blu-Ray, which format will Xbox2 go with? The game consoles will put more High Def players quicker into homes than stand alone players, not to mention more monitors.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Disney should show balls by making themselves exclusive to Blu-ray. I am very disappointed with Universal on this one; Dune could be so pretty with additional space and a VC-1 codec.:angry:

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
The possibility of Xbox2 having HD-DVD is far from a certainty, and in many circles is looking even less likely, at least in the core unit (they're talking about having 3 different versions of the damn machine now).

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
This is so depressing. How many years will it be before there is a clear winner, if any at all? I love DVD because it is one format that is almost perfect. A few years from now, are we going to be looking back fondly on the days of DVD, wishing he had never heard of HD-DVD.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ditto to that. I'm not buying into it. I have almost 900 DVD's, and I won't get anything better until one of the two HD formats has called it quits. I hope that anyone even remotely considering going HD/Blu-Ray doesn't forget Betamax. It was a better product, but it lost the war.

I hope the sales are zero - and stay that way until one of them gives up. They have got to be idiots!

Oh wait, I already knew that.

Glenn

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I too will have nothing to do with a new HD format until one of them wins. In addition, I will not purchase a player until the price is at $300.00 or less and movies are $20.00 or less. While I don't have a ton of DVDs compared to some (around 180), I have no intentions of replacing these anytime soon. Eventually, I will. But, 'eventually' is still at least several years away for me.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I think 5 years from now we will have universal players that will play Blu-ray and HD DVD's. Equipment manufactures will realize quickly that they will sell a lot more units if they incorporate both formats in one player. Since Sony hopefully will not keep Blu-ray to themselves everyone will have the capability to manufacture both formats in their equipment. Sony will most likely only make Bluray players just like they are doing with SACD, but that does not matter to me cus I hate Sony products anyhow!

Wes

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I couldn't disagree more. That's only true if both formats are being widely accepted so that manufacturing efficiencies and cost savings can occur. Having two competing formats in this case may likely stifle acceptance of both (just read the comments here of the likely "early adopter" crowd), and thus prices will not drop appreciably.

I think it's clear that the DVD model (one format from the get-go) is the one to emulate.

Another thing that will stifle acceptance of either is if they only allow the HD resolution to be passed over the DVI/HDCP or HDMI interface, as is being surmised by some. Again, the initial target audience for this product is very likely to be made up of folks who already have invested a lot of money in their display. Unless they bought one in the past year or so they would not be able to benefit. That could cripple this product before it gets going. They need to do full HD resolution via analog component.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
After reading this entire message thread, I think both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs will co-exist with each other, on the condition that both disc formats can use the same mechanical playback mechanism. I'm glad that the Blu-Ray design has abandoned the use of a disc caddy, which would have put it at a big disadvantage compared to HD-DVD.

Besides, the format wars between DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW hasn't hurt sales of either, given that today's DVD recorder drives for computers can write in both formats. :) I wouldn't be surprised that high-definition DVD players/recorders will support both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats by 2010. I also think that high-definition DVD players/recorder will support DVI, IEEE-1394 and analog component video connections; they will need component video connections for compatibility with older projection TV sets.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ray, as much as I'd like to see that too, I can't see see one machine happening. You have to realize that Sony and Toshiba make the machines. I wouldn't want my competitors inards in mine.

What would be really nice would be is to have the stores not carry the machines. Just tell them that they can fight it out someplace else.

After all, pity the poor sales person that is asked - Ok, which format is going to win the war?

Glenn

Brian-W

Screenwriter

Not if you can't get the same content on both platforms.

It'll divide consumers and the market. If Fox and Disney jump on the HD-DVD bandwagon, there will be no format war. It'll be like Iraq, giant military (HD-DVD) fighting insurgents (Blu-Ray).

Probably not the best comparison, but what the hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks