What's new

Toshiba Widescreen TV Problems (1 Viewer)

A question to the learned. I have a newer rear projection Toshiba 50" widescreen TV, bought it last year, and when I watch mt VCR or laserdisc player it has a terrible grainy picture. Does anyone know how I might solve this problem? Thanks.

greg_t

Screenwriter
It's not a technical problem per se', it's really just because VHS and LD are standard definiton analog signals and just don't look very well when blown up to 50" on a digital TV. How do you have the LD and VCR hooked into the TV? You might try connecting them to your TV via composite cable, which forces the TV to use it's 3D comb filter. Aside from that, most HDTV's have mediocore line doublers, stretch modes, and comb filters and don't put much empahsis on obtaining quality for analog signals. There isn't an easy fix. A couple of options are to get a better LD player or use an external line doubler such as an Iscan PRO. Also make sure that if the VCR or LD players have a noise reduction feature, turn it off. I would also turn off noise reduction on the TV (if it has such a feature) for those sources.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Are both comming in on composite? If so try Svideo
If both are comming in on svideo try composite.

It is one of the things I looked at when buy'n, and one you see in reviews, how well does the HDTV handle non-hd /non-dvd sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks