What's new

Toshiba Widescreen. . . Is this normal? (1 Viewer)

John.bo

Auditioning
I just purchased a Toshiba 65H82 rear screen projection TV this month. Overall, I’m thrilled with the picture, but there is something that’s bothering me. I wonder if what I’m seeing is a defect, or if it’s just what you expect to see when paying less than $3,000 for a 65” picture. What I notice (and this is while viewing a DVD – I’ve tried two different players, currently a Pioneer DV-45A) is that a couple of scan lines toward the middle of the screen seem to be lighter (more prominent) than those surrounding. I don’t know how to better describe it, and it is subtle. I only notice it when there is a smooth bright subject, like a sky or a close up of a face. Also, I’ve adjusted the set as per Avia.

I called Best Buy, and they have service coming out Thursday. I just want to gather what information I can incase the serviceman tells me it’s normal. I did speak to the manager at the store, and he basically said the picture should be “perfect”, but understandably, not everyone’s definition of “perfect” is the same. Anyone seen a problem like this before? Is it something that might be adjusted out? If it’s something major, like a gun, or the screen, should I consider letting them fix it, or just replace the thing.

Thanks

John

John.bo

Auditioning
Well, I'm out of town right now, but when I get home later in the week, I'll try to get a photo to you. Thanks a million!

John

John.bo

Auditioning
Gregg, thanks for your concern with my question. I had some trouble capturing the image on my digital camera. Anyway, the service guy came this morning to take a look at it. He said that what I was seeing was considered by Toshiba to be normal and was just the linticular lines that form the screen. I couldn't argue with that, but just to be sure, I took a DVD with me to Best Buy and had the guys there play it on their floor model ( a 57" screen). Well, lo and behold, this set performed much the same as mine. Perhaps I'm being too critical (and/or perhaps I have to pay a lot more than $2,500 to get a picture without the lines). Well, anyway, I'm satisfied. Overall, the picture is astounding and maybe after a little time with it, I'll grow accustom to the limits of technology at this price point.

Thanks again for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks