Toshiba Widescreen and PS2 - 1" of black on left side

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Lipp, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Eric Lipp

Eric Lipp Agent

I am playing my Playstation 2 on my Toshiba 56H80 Widescreen TV. For some reason, the left approximately 1 inch of the screen is black. It doesn't matter if I hook up through composite, component...whatever.
    Obviously, movies and TV work just fine, and it seems like the right side of the screen is where it should be.
    Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks for any ideas,
    ~Eric

PS - I started this under the video game hardware section, but I think this might be a better spot for it.

2. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

This is common on a lot of game systems, nothing wrong with your setup.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Eric,
    As Bill said this is very common with video game systems. The picture often is off-center or vertically displaced.

I've encountered the same thing with Super Nintendo, Dreamcast, N-64, Playstation I and II on several different tv sets. The game image is often a bit smaller than a regular tv image and as a result the overscan built into most tvs doesn't hide small amounts of off-centering.

Some game software even has a centering adjustment in the setup menu for the game.

As long as regular tv and dvd are ok, do not attempt to adjust your set.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    You are also seeing the windowbox effect of many video games. A static black box around the edge of the image.

another reason why video games and crt rptv's don't mix too well. The black strip is usually always there.

Regards

5. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

i noticed it in ps2 games too, but of the 2 games i tried, they both got fixed (no black bars at all) if I set my ps2 to 16x9 mode in the bios, and set the game to "full".
    Xbox + Gamecube Games look outstanding, better than most DVDs...PS2 is not so hot with Svideo for me.
    -ELmO[​IMG]

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Hmmm Elmo, thats a good idea i willtry that with my Set. I had this exact same problem, and I had to adjustt he overscan to about 6-7% inorder to disguise this flaw. personally this is a solution which works for me, its not perfect but it works. 6-7% isn't a whole lot, especially since i ahve found some dvd's which require a little overscan themselves. plus most people on the forum will tell you that you need to have some overscan and they recommend what 5% or so?i could probably further tweak my set to get less overscan while keeping my picture aligned, but i just ahvent had the chance to play around with it yet.

Also incase you are wondering I found it VERY easy to make adjustments in the service menu on my toshiba 36hfx71 it only seems logical that the service menu would be similar for their other tv's.

Good Luck