toshiba vs jvc

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Asim, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

Hi, i wanted to get your opinions between the following 2 DVD players which are the same price:

Toshiba 3900
    or
    JVC XVS500

I have seen lots of good comments about the 3900, and not
    that many comments about the JVC. ik the JVC has a list price that is higher (which doesn't always equate to better product). As far as my setup goes, I would be using the following equipment:

InFocus X1 proj using either 480i or 480p input
    HK 520 receiver

Thanks for your comments.

2. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Asim, I own the JVC XV-FA900, which from what I've read has very similar video quality to the XVS500, the two major differences being that the 900 has DVD-Audio and is a 7-disc changer. I also own the Toshiba SD3900.

I would recommend the Toshiba over the JVC. The Toshiba has a little better video quality, the image being a little smoother and more film-like. The Toshiba also has the ability to play multi-region discs right out of the box, as well as convert PAL to NTSC properly if you have any interest in these DVDs. The JVC also converts PAL to NTSC but has to be chipped to play multi-region discs(mine is chipped).

The only benefit I see to the JVC is that it gives you more picture adjustments for sharpness, gamma, brightness, contrast, hue, and color, and has a few more bells and whistles. The Toshiba is a very basic player as far as adjustments you can make, but the picture is so strong you really don't need these controls with the Toshiba. The Toshiba also handles video better than the JVC. I haven't seen any sub-$100 player than can beat the Toshiba.

Right now Best Buy has the SD3900 on sale (advertised as a closeout) for $79.99, which is a tremendous bargain for a player of this quality. I just bought another one as a birthday present for a friend so that she can borrow my other region DVDs.

3. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

thanks for taking time out to answer, jay. out of 86 views, only 1 answer, but that was informative and helpful. i will go to bb and get the Toshiba then.

4. Takosan

Takosan Stunt Coordinator

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

I haven't received it yet but I just ordered it from Amazon. With free shipping & no tax I think this is a good deal.

I already use JVC S60 but was looking for a multi-region capable player. I was about to order a chipped JVC but economics won [​IMG]

Robert

5. Ellen

Ellen Stunt Coordinator

Ellen

6. JohnSterling

JohnSterling Stunt Coordinator

Be aware that the 3900 may show a bit 'dark'. Aside from my comparison I did a few days ago (see my post from earlier this week), I've read on a couple sites that you may need to spend a little extra time 'tweeking' your video settings on your projector.

Not knocking the 3900...just an FYI.

Of course...if you go Best Buy, you always have the thirty day return policy. Just do what I did and buy your top 2 or 3 choices, compare at home, then return the onces you don't like.

Nothing beats hooking up new stuff to YOUR equipement and giving it a shot.

7. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Ellen, yes the Toshiba will play discs from any region, at least from regions 1-4 that I've tried, and it will properly convert PAL discs to NTSC.

The Toshiba has a design "flaw" that allows you to circumvent the Region 1 restriction.

Go the the Regional DVD Area forum and then to the section MultiRegion Pal/NTSC DVD Player for more info on how to do this, including the remote hack needed.

Note that only the SD3900 has this "flaw" among Toshiba players, the SD2900 on sale for $59.99 at Best Buy right now does not allow you to play discs from other regions.