Toshiba TW65G80 and HDTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Checkmate1996, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Checkmate1996

Hello. I have an older Toshiba 16x9 widescreen and was wondering what my options would be, if any, to receive HD signal. This model does have the video component (color stream) system as inputs. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I am no expert but if your set is not HD ready, there is nothing you can do to get it to display an HD signal no matter what the source of that signal. DVD quality is as good as you are going to see.

Artie

3. John S

John S Producer

Well, I'm not sure about your display.

That was in the years when there were sets that could take 480p typically labled DTV's, If this is the case, you can totally respectably display HD in ED (480p) a step below true HD, but very respectable. A majority of Plasma displays still convert all true HD source to ED (480p) and they look spectacular.

In the manual, does it talk about the Component Inputs much? If it supports 480p, I say go for it. It just might, I did notice on some of my searches, that it converts all sources to progressive scan, so I'd say you got a good shot at it.

You know, Virtually any display can display HD sources, via Svideo, I mean even most any NTSC only set. But if it does take 480p, you owe to yourself to go ahead and get some HD Source running on it.

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The only way I know of for HD to be displayed via s-video is to downconvert to 480i, which would not be HD.

5. John S

John S Producer

Yes, an NTSC only set will be displaying the HD source in SD.

Any ED plasma works as I posted. I still have yet to see anybody that has bought a true HD plasma display. I have seen many in the stores though.

I still do not call 480p displays SD, I call them ED.