Toshiba (Tube) Picture Problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hayes Preston, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston Stunt Coordinator

I have a relatively new (< two years old) 32 inch Toshiba tube set, and I think there is a major problem with it. Everything looks green!! Now here's the weird part, I've used the Avia disc about 5 times to calibrate it, and I easily get the color/hue/blue_filter test to pass. But then, during certain scenes (mostly darker scenes), the darn thing looks like I'm watching "The Matrix", except it's even more greenish than that.
    Interestingly enough, the contrast function seems to have the greatest effect on this. The more I turn it up, the less green (although never corrected) the set gets.
    Should I break into the service menu? I wouldn't know what to adjust though. Should I get it serviced by a pro? Any Toshiba owners experience this?
    Any help is much appreciated.

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

You should look at the Avia greyscale test patterns and see if it is a greyscale problem in the lower end of the scale which is what it sounds like. If the tint is as bad as you say, you'll see a noticeable greenish tint on the 20 IRE test window pattern (also look at the vertical ramp pattern). This can be adjusted via the service menu but to get proper greyscale , you'll need a color analyzer and some knowledge about how to set it. An ISF trained person could do this for you.
    cheers,
    --tom

3. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

I've noticed the same thing on my 36 inch Toshiba, similar vintage, especially since getting HD.
    I eyeballed the tint and adjusted it a number of clicks to the opposite direction, and that seems to have helped somewhat. But really dark scenes still have a bit of a green cast to them.
    Is it normal for a set's greyscale to drift like this after a couple of years?
    ------------------
    Mario
    Proprietor and chief nacho chip server of Cinemario

4. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston Stunt Coordinator

Well, I got into the service menu and brought the GDRV and GCUT down a few notches each. It had a fabulous effect. Of course, I went back and used Avia to recalibrate. What a difference! Last night was the first time in weeks that I sat through an entire movie (ST:First Contact) and enjoyed it. Before, the green was distracting me as I was trying to *ignore* it. Last night I looked for it and didn't see any problems.
    I will try the IRE pattern tonight.

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Hayes, that is good to hear. I had the same problem with a 27A40 that I bought about 9-10 months ago. Since I had been using an older Sharp tv, my eyes really noticed the difference in the overall color balance (the Sharp pushed red like most sets do while the Toshiba is fairly balanced) as well as a green tint in darker gray areas on the screen. I ended up lowering GCUT by 3 ticks and taking BCUT up 4 ticks using the Avia 20 IRE test pattern. This, for my eye, yielded the most neutral gray (no lime/greenish or purplish tints). Whether or not its close to D6500K cannot be determined without a color analyzer as best I understand things.
    cheers,
    --tom